www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Re: P2 card adapter for MacBook Pros RELEASED
March 07, 2007 05:53PM
About time!

Still, is pricey, no?

March 07, 2007 06:00PM
$119 PRICEY? Heck no. The only other solutions cost between $1600 and $2000.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
March 07, 2007 06:13PM
in comparison to a firestore or equivilant, dirty cheap! Now all i need is the mac-book pro! winking smiley
March 07, 2007 06:28PM
I admit it's cheaper than other P2 reader solutions. But we're basically talking about a format adapter here right? Something that not only adapts the larger PCMCIA cards to the smaller Express slot but also ramps up the interface speed...

Other adapters (like Compact Flash>PCMCIA) can be had for $10 -- and I know that's not an apples to apples comparison, but I'm just wondering why this adapter is so pricey. Is it just cause it's the first one or is the format conversion a much more complicated process than I think it is?

JK

March 07, 2007 06:30PM
The format conversion is difficult. They announced these cards a while back, but had a lot of tinkering to do to get it right.

P2 cards are complex beasts.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
March 07, 2007 08:24PM
and only $99 till March 31
March 08, 2007 10:54AM
Very cool, Shane!
The only problem I see is that I would have the ExpressCard slot alredy ocuppied, to connect the very SATA drive I would like to transfer to smiling smiley That FW800 port in the newer MBPs seems invaluable now...

Although I moved most of my production to my MBP I have to say that, no matter the advances, "desktop replacement" is always an elusive state smiling smiley

Adolfo Rozenfeld
Buenos Aires - Argentina
www.adolforozenfeld.com
March 08, 2007 11:00AM
Adolfo...you shouldn't be importing directly from the card to your SATA raid anyway. You should be importing onto a field drive, or BACKUP drive (connected via FW400 or 800), and THEN importng that into FCP and your SATA Raid.

In that case, you are fine.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
March 08, 2007 11:06AM
If I understand this correctly, if you are shooting on P2 cards, one would need either
- a laptop with PCMCIA
- the camera
- the $2000 drive/player thingy
to import the files. Is that right?

If you had a setup with towers only, what are the options for getting the actual P2 cards into the system?
Just curious.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
March 08, 2007 11:08AM
Shane: the eSATA RAID is hypothetical for now. BTW, I'll be in LA a couple of days before NAB. Any recomendations for a place to buy these things there?

Did anybone get a chance to try DVRack's direct DVCPRO HD recording from the HVX200? These are Bootcamp times, and if that works.... Serious Magic claims that they support different format/wrappers for DVCPRO HD. I wonder if it can store the DVCPRO HD stream as FCP-friendly Quicktime files... Anybody?

For the kind of things I do, having a laptop connected during the shoot would be no problem. For documentaries and such, doesn't seem a good idea smiling smiley

Adolfo Rozenfeld
Buenos Aires - Argentina
www.adolforozenfeld.com
March 08, 2007 11:31AM
Andrew Kines Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If I understand this correctly, if you are
> shooting on P2 cards, one would need either
> - a laptop with PCMCIA
> - the camera
> - the $2000 drive/player thingy
> to import the files. Is that right?

If you had a laptop with PCMCIA, you don't need the P2 Store ($200 drive/player thingy) Just a field drive to back up the cards to. Or you can get the Firestore.

Or...
- a MacBook Pro (PCIexpress slot) and this adapter
- The Camera (with cards or with a Firestore)
- field drive to back the footage up to. (I use Acomdata drives...LaCie makes good ones too for this. Bus powered FW400 or 800 is the key).

> If you had a setup with towers only, what are the
> options for getting the actual P2 cards into the
> system?

P2 Store would really be your only option...or recording to the Firestore. Because you would be out in the field shooting, and can't really be lugging about Towers.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
March 08, 2007 02:51PM

If I understand this correctly, if you are shooting on P2 cards, one would need either
- a laptop with PCMCIA
- the camera
- the $2000 drive/player thingy
to import the files. Is that right?

I've been reading up on this lately and you can buypass a good chunk here - by setting the camera to host mode you can plug in a FW Drive directly to the camera and transfer the P2 data on to the Firewire drive. So in theory you can bypass the laptop (although then you cant look and verify what your getting off the camera!)
- Im off on a shoot at the weekend and am eager to try out a few options - an firewire ipod apparently does just the job if a little slow. Will be interesting to see how things pan out!!
March 08, 2007 03:10PM
Josh B Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've been reading up on this lately and you can
> bypass a good chunk here - by setting the camera
> to host mode you can plug in a FW Drive directly
> to the camera and transfer the P2 data on to the
> Firewire drive. So in theory you can bypass the
> laptop (although then you cant look and verify

Yeah...but then you lose the use of your camera as a camera during that time. If you had several cards and an offload station, and a person manning it, or just a P2 Store at your side (slap in the card, press a button) then you can still shoot while footage is offloading.

But, this works fine. But many people don't want to stop down production like that.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
March 08, 2007 03:40PM
Yep, unfortunatly i've gotta make do with what ive been given - and the man with the money just couldn't understand why we needed to hire out the P2 Store as well... its going to be a nightmare but hey, i tried!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics