Glitches on transitions after render (driving me nuts)

Posted by JGordon 
Glitches on transitions after render (driving me nuts)
March 14, 2007 06:34PM
Hi!

I am putting opening/closing credits on a live action movie, working with 3-D animated backgrounds for these sections. Fades, type, and dissolves preview fine but every time I render the sequence I get wicked jumps in the background (8 or 9 frames) every time a transition happens.

I am cutting DVNTSC 23.98fps 720X480 squeezed and all my source materials match perfectly -- as far as I can tell -- as do sequence settings.

What is weird is that for a few weeks everything was outputting fine, then suddenly this problem has come up and nothing I do seems to stop it. I have tried creating brand new sequences, thinking maybe this one is corrupt (?), but the same thing happens ....

If anyone has any ideas I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Thanks so much.
Re: Glitches on transitions after render (driving me nuts)
March 14, 2007 08:01PM
Have you got FCP Rescue? If things are working fine and then go nutty for no obvious reason, there's a good change your preferences are up the creek. Try trashing your preferences. Here's a link to how to do this from the FAQ. Trashing preferences

March 14, 2007 09:04PM
are you using any third party filters or effects?
March 14, 2007 10:05PM
or try dumping the render files and re-rendering. that often works for me.

h

HarryD
March 14, 2007 10:53PM
Agreed with trashing prefs, trashing render files, copying everything to a new project and trying again.

What are your sequence settings? Sometimes this will happen to me with XDCam or HDV... perhaps try an intermediate codec, or DVCPro HD?
March 15, 2007 06:59PM
Thanks to everyone who responded.

Trashing prefs and renders did not solve the problem.

However when I render the sequence using Apple Intermediate Codec it seems to be OK. This is a big pain but at least I can output properly for my producer.

Could it be that FCP just does not like this animated footage for some reason (even though it is rendered as DVNTSC Quicktime that matches my live action.) Transition problem does not occur on the live action.

Thanks again.
March 15, 2007 07:03PM
Hey, thanks for your help with this!

Can you suggest an intermediate codec. I tried Apple Intermediate Codec and it seems to work but I'm not sure if it maintains quality.

I am cutting using a standard NTSC/DV/24fps/3:2/anamorphic setting.
March 15, 2007 07:13PM
Quality is excellent with AIC. Its just bigger file sizes.

Michael Horton
-------------------
March 16, 2007 04:12AM
Just FYI, I've seen this problem recently too. It just seems to pop up. Re-render fixes then they get corrupted again.
March 16, 2007 12:13PM
Yeah it's weird. The program seems to randomly slip the in and out points on the elements involved in the transitions (in this case my background). When I play the actual render files, they look fine. But when FCP assembles them back into the sequence they are out of synch. So the glitches/jumps all come the frame before the transition starts, or the frame after it finishes.

Anyways ... rendering in AIC solves the problem for output anyway. (Luckily I'm almost finished!)

Thanks again everyone who posted. Very helpful.

J
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics