Dumb question re motion tab/favorites?

Posted by Marla Mitchnick 
Dumb question re motion tab/favorites?
March 15, 2007 01:53PM
Hey there Y'all,

Just have a simple resize but need to apply to many many clips - how do I make a favorite effect, like a filter, out of a basic motion tab setting so I can apply to a group of clips instead of individually? Not finding the "handy dandy draggable rectangle"... must be a way...

Thanks,

Marla
Re: Dumb question re motion tab/favorites?
March 15, 2007 01:59PM
Create a "favorite"? Here is how

[www.creativemac.com]

Michael Horton
-------------------
Re: Dumb question re motion tab/favorites?-but...
March 15, 2007 02:08PM
...A motion tab setting is not exactly a filter - so it doesn't have the little doohicky to drag. And when I went to "make favorite" from the pull down menu, it did not appear in the favorites folder so... I am still perplexed... but thanks for responding,

Marla
Re: Dumb question re motion tab/favorites? AHA!
March 15, 2007 02:12PM
AHA!

You can pull down from the effects tab to "make favorite MOTION," not to be confused with "make favorite..."

Marla "don't-be-afraid-to-display-your-ignorance" Mitchnick
March 15, 2007 02:40PM
LOL... you're great, MM smiling smiley

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

March 15, 2007 03:04PM
> you can pull down from the effects tab to "make favorite MOTION,"

Yes, the shortcut is CONTROL-F. I do think the programmers should allow the pulling of the Motion tab to the Browser, though, similar to filters and filter packs. Much faster for me, since I hardly ever use the Effects tab. Also, Motion Paths (the objects that get created when you use Make Favorite Motion) don't work as part of a filter pack in a Browser bin -- if you put both a Motion Path and filters into the same bin/pack, the Motion Paths don't function. Another thing they can improve.

> "don't-be-afraid-to-display-your-ignorance"

That's a good maxim to have. Pretending to know something you don't is more dangerous than the actual lack of knowledge!

www.derekmok.com
March 15, 2007 03:21PM
Color me ignorant. I skipped over the word "motion."

Michael Horton
-------------------
March 15, 2007 04:12PM
I love you all, I really do. And "I hardly know ye!" I mean I honestly felt SHAME about my ignorance, what is that? So useless! Fight it! Bare your bare self!

And now I'm smiling...

Marla
March 15, 2007 04:34PM
Dear Marla-who-always-needs-another-trick-in-her-bag,

Don't forget the oh so simple technique of copying (Cmd-C) a clip that has the motion tab settings you like , then selecting the other clips you would like to have the same settings, and Pasting Attributes (Cmd-V) and checking the attributes you want to apply. Real easy for the small tasks.

Scott
March 15, 2007 05:17PM
Doh! I totally love paste attributes and it did not even occur to my over-pressured mind...

"sigh" - from you, I'll take the ribbing.

Marla
March 15, 2007 05:28PM
> I totally love paste attributes and it did not even occur to my over-pressured mind...

Actually, there's one reason to use Motion Paths instead of Paste Attributes. Whenever I have keyframed motion attributes, they don't paste properly -- when pasted to the new clips, the keyframes stay where the old clip was, making the paste useless.

I had conversations with Jude Cotter about this and she says she doesn't have this issue. But I do motion keyframes all the time and Paste Attributes has never worked there unless I move the new clip to the exact same position as the old one was (on a different track), a big pain in the culo.

www.derekmok.com
March 15, 2007 05:59PM

Don't forget the oh so simple technique of copying (Cmd-C) a clip that has the motion tab settings you like , then selecting the other clips you would like to have the same settings, and Pasting Attributes (Cmd-V) and checking the attributes you want to apply. Real easy for the small tasks.

Just remember that Paste Attributes' shortcut is OPT-V not CMD-V which is just regular-old paste.

andy
March 15, 2007 06:05PM

Just remember that Paste Attributes' shortcut is OPT-V not CMD-V which is just regular-old paste.

Ohh! I knew that, but got carried away. Thanks for catching it, Andy.

Scott
March 15, 2007 06:12PM
The subtleties do come out, don't they?

Interesting about the keyfrraming motion tabs bugaroo Derek - I often keyframe my motion attributes too, of course, when doing moves it's essential... But wouldn't it only make sense to paste attributes from a key-framed move (a push in on a still image, say) if the shot you were pasting TO was of the same duration? Or do you just do it for speed, and then pull your keyframes over to make any necessary adjustments?

Marla
March 15, 2007 08:13PM
I forgot we had that conversation, Derek. Does it still not work for you? I just tested some stuff here to confirm it wasn't broken (some motion stuff has been broken in 5.1 >winking smiley and it still works fine.

So - this is my workflow. Add a clip to the timeline. Mark a keyframe. Move forward on the timeline. Using wireframe mode, move the clip in the canvas to a new point. A keyframe is added, but I usually mark one anyway out of habit. Copy the clip.

Add another clip to the timeline. Select the clip. Choose Paste Attributes > Basic motion. The new clip should now move exactly as the previous one did.

This doesn't work for you?

And Marla - when you paste attributes there is an option to 'scale attribute times' at the top of the dialogue box. If this is chaecked, it will remap the timel to suit the length of the new clip. If it's not checked, the motion will happen at exactly same rate as it does in your source clip.

March 15, 2007 09:16PM
Jude! That is WAY COOL! Do you mean if you have a 15 frame fade out (keyframed opacity, NOT a crossfade icon one) at the end of a move, say, that the shot you paste to, though longer, will have the same 15 frame fade out at the tail?

I am going to try this and i am going to love it...

Thanks Y'all,

Marla
March 15, 2007 11:06PM
Actually, Marla, I'm not sure that particular example will work the way you want. I believe that if you uncheck the "Scale Attribute Times" box, it'll paste keyframes starting from the 1st frame of the new clip. Meaning:

Clip 1 is 30 frames long. You create a keyframed opacity fade out on the last 10 frames so the first keyframe (100%) is on the 20th frame and the second on the 30th (0%). Now you past that attribute to Clip 2 which is 60 frames long. Instead of the fade out occuring on the last 10 frames of Clip 2, the fade out is actually in the middle of the clip because that is where the 20th and 30th frames are on Clip 2.

Does that make sense? Test it to be sure, but I'm fairly sure that is the case.

Andy
March 16, 2007 06:26AM
Yeah I think Andy is right. It counts from the first frame forward.

March 18, 2007 04:09PM
I always do the Paste Attributes technique described above.

CMD-C to copy the clip with the settings you like... then Option-V and select "Basic Motion" in the contextual menu that results to the clip(s) you want to have the same settings.
March 18, 2007 05:12PM
Well then, what does Jude mean by:

"And Marla - when you paste attributes there is an option to 'scale attribute times' at the top of the dialogue box. If this is chaecked, it will remap the timel to suit the length of the new clip. If it's not checked, the motion will happen at exactly same rate as it does in your source clip."

IE, how does scale attribute times alter the original timings to suit the NEW clip?

Marla
March 18, 2007 07:58PM
"does scale attribute times alter the original timings to suit the NEW clip? "

it just does.

if the new clip is longer, the keyframes of your move will be spaced out.
if the new clip is shorter, they will be bunched up

try it and see.

nick
March 18, 2007 09:27PM
I'm not sure how it works either, Marla - my theory is that it works by percentages - that is, it goes - the first ten percent of the clip does this, then this for the next 12 percent, then like this until 90 percent and so on.

And I think possibly when 'scale attributes' it turned off it just uses the frame numbers for keyframe placement.

I don't have any proof of this, just that's how it seems to work.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics