Bidding in HD world

Posted by Sanjay 
Bidding in HD world
March 17, 2007 05:17PM
I'm looking at a project which in an SD world, I'd say is probably $20k to shoot, edit and master the DVD. Its a 25 minute show of interviews, b-roll, archival photos, aerials, stock footage, etc. Anyone have a "magic equation" for what this would be in the HD world?

tnx,
Sanjay
Re: Bidding in HD world
March 17, 2007 07:34PM
Does this have to include the cost of setup for HD?

March 17, 2007 07:36PM
And what flavour of HD are you talking? HDV? HD SR?

March 17, 2007 08:30PM
What % of your $20K figure was camera/deck rental? Take that figure and calculate the extra expense of renting the HD camera and deck vs. SD. If you shoot in DVC-ProHD, you don't necessarily have to do an off-line and then on-line so the edit needn't be too much extra expense.
The tapes may be more expensive or not. DVC-Pro tapes are not more expensive than Digibeta tapes, for instance. The sound gear is the same, the lights are the same. Any post processes will carry some up charge.

As for some magic formula, there is none. It could cost $25K or $2 million. Depends on what's being done and who's doing it.
March 17, 2007 11:16PM
The fish was burning on the barbie so I was innapropriately brief in my opening question.
I'm equating this HD project with others that I've done in DVcam in the price range of $20-25k. So my out of pocket expenses were very low, since all the studio and production gear were mine. This project is a look good, feel good promo for a nonprofit org and the geographical area they work in. I'm concerned that HDV will not be robust enough for the landscapes and aerials. Lots of interviews, some of which will probably be green screen. I'm thinkin the Pana HVX200 p2 route might be the lowest cost route to a quality image. and then there's that .....workflow thang.....
The significant output Form is a DVD (blue ray?). They'll also want a 1/2hr show cut and printed to tape for broadcast.
I'm in the "bid creation phase"... so thought I'd put it out there for wisdom from those who have gone before me....

thanks in advance for your thoughts
March 18, 2007 02:39AM
as some have said. it depends on the flavor of HD. for the terms of bidding, HDV is almost ZERO difference from DV and if someone says otheriwise they are a con or a fool.

if the client is dead set on "proper-HD" like varicam, viper, cinealta - if you have to ask, YOU DONT NEED TO BID. if its something like the HVX, then the only big difference between that and DV is render time, learning the camera and P2 recording media.

for proper HD, there may be more equipment rental (or purchase) and setup than you can build in to a single project. if its dvcpro with the hvx, id say add 50%
March 18, 2007 02:33PM
The client "seems" reliant on my integrity/proposal to do "the right thing" in terms of the quality "look" of the show. There are no requisite tech specs. My concern was to produce a show that is ready for the HD era (we probably wont complete the project until next winter or spring) and create images that do justice to the natural beauty of their locale. I can create compelling images in dvcam when I have total control, i.e. interviews, etc. But I've never been happy with wide sweeping landscapes on or off the ground. I've always wanted a more robust image. Perhaps the better question here is whether I'll get that robust image with the HVX or am I still trying to get a gourmet meal at macdonalds? .......... or vericam for landscape/aerials?

And yes, your estimates on the "HVX version" match what I"ve been able to pencil out... thanks for that validation too.

Thanks very much for taking the time to respond.
March 19, 2007 01:43PM
I think 720P would be more than acceptable for sweeping landscape beauty shots. I also think it's good value for the dollar spent. There are now other panasonic models that are cheaper than the varicam if you don't need to over/under crank your shots.

-CHL

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
Apple Certified Final Cut Pro Instructor
March 19, 2007 07:41PM
Excellent.

tnx.
March 20, 2007 05:56AM
Chi-Ho Lee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think 720P would be more than acceptable for
> sweeping landscape beauty shots. I also think
> it's good value for the dollar spent. There are
> now other panasonic models that are cheaper than
> the varicam if you don't need to over/under crank
> your shots.
>
> -CHL

On the other hand, aerials look great when you overcrank. It really smooths out the shaking from the rotors.
March 20, 2007 12:39PM
TimJBD Wrote:

>
> On the other hand, aerials look great when you
> overcrank. It really smooths out the shaking from
> the rotors.

How much OC do you recommend?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics