SONY HDR-FX1

Posted by Nick Baer 
SONY HDR-FX1
March 18, 2007 03:59PM
I got my SONY HDR-FX1 this week.

It is very well designed and rugged, where as on my Panasonic DVX100A the plastic barndoor thingy on the front broke one time, messing things up with all the exposed, pancaked pasttic part lens assembly.

The only sad thing so far: I like to archive footage on a DVD recorder. So I have a DVD backup, and so I can if I want, use DVDxDV and RIP my data to harddrive rather than Capture in FCS.

So I shoot some great footage, connect the DV cable from the cam to the DVD recorder, and NO GO! DVD recorder can't recognize the HDV video signal. SO I GOOGLE'd HDV DVD Recorder and came up with no hits. In the past 4 years I have had SONY and Panasonic DVD recorders... and I am not finding any reference to HDV.

Now on the cam there is an option to output as DV vs HDV. I am going to try DV when I have time. But academically, in that context is DV = SD whereas HDV = HD... or is there a different difference between DV and HDV in terms of the SONY camera output??

I really enjoyed using that cam twice now since I got it!
Re: SONY HDR-FX1
March 18, 2007 04:02PM
I forgot to check the "send replies via e-mail.
Re: SONY HDR-FX1
March 20, 2007 12:37PM
you can use "i:link" on your camera to downconvert your HDV signal to a DV signal that is the equivalent as what your DVX put out. I'm pretty sure you have to use the Firewire cable to get that downconvert for that tho...you will obviously lose access to your HD content although if you are going to DVD you're pretty much losing most of your quality anyway...

JVC did make a HDV DVD deck, not sure if records as well. But i doubt its worth the investment. Why don;t you archive your captured footage to DL DVD? You could fit prob 40 mins or so on a disc with full HD size and no additional compression? And any G5 can burn DL, you just need Toast or some equivalent...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics