odd corruption - cache or prefs trash?

Posted by Marla Mitchnick 
odd corruption - cache or prefs trash?
March 18, 2007 05:19PM
Hi there Y'all,

I am getting a disturbing "media files offline" window, when I open up various projects, even when there ain't nothin' offline. It'll say "3 files, or 5 files, went offline" so I click to reconnect and when the grey window comes up there is no file name, it just says "___is missing."

Now before this started on Friday i did move some media around and relink it. This started then, and I had to uncheck that box about "matched name only" to locate some of my files. But after everything was relinked I am still getting this, no matter which project I open, and I have a number of projects going...

I copied and pasted all my favorites into a new project so if i trash the user prefs I won't lose them, any other thoughts or suggestions before I go ahead with that?

Thanks,

Marla

"If you look back through human history, you see that every evil regime has been overcome by good." Ghandi (as quoted by Jane Goodall at TED...)
Re: odd corruption - cache or prefs trash?
March 18, 2007 08:43PM
trashing prefs may help,

but why dont you just tell FCP to "forget" about those offliine clips.

Forget is an option in the reconnect box when you open your project.

nick
March 19, 2007 10:00AM
Well I am doing that, but it concerns me that FCP is behaving this way...

M A R L A

Current System:

FCP 7.0.3 on an MBP 17" from early 2011, running OS 10.8.3

Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB
Software OS X 10.8.3 (12D78)
March 19, 2007 01:48PM
I have seen this once. I believe it is media corruption. If you really want to find out which file, you can quarantine small groups of bins/media into another project and open the new project and see which group makes that offline window pop up. Once you find out which group, you can widdle down inside that group.

not fun or fast but should help you find the culprit(s).

-CHL

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
Apple Certified Final Cut Pro Instructor
March 19, 2007 02:00PM
Yikes! It is more than one project it's happening with!

When you have a corrupt media file, if it's a .mov, do you just re-digitize? Though it could be a graphic. Maybe it's something that the various projects share, i have some files like that (both graphics and some "header" and "footer" .mov files.

I haven't time to fix this, and I am scared it's going to bite me later. Do you guys think it's OK to just keep editing?

Marla
March 19, 2007 02:06PM
It could be the media drive. Though unlikely, if the drive is causing media to be corrupted, then that could be one reason why it's happening to multiple projects.

You take a risk by not finding the root of the project. It could never haunt you or it be haunt you 6 months later. No way to tell.

CHL

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
Apple Certified Final Cut Pro Instructor
March 19, 2007 03:23PM
Oh I am going to - I just have a big deadline to deal with this week, so I am hoping to be able to keep cutting and postpone the investigation 'til Friday or Monday.

Could just be a file with a bad name - all the media I am currently cutting with was digitized by as many as 4 other people... I took an assistant's larger project and broke it up into smaller projects, many of which share certain media files. I have a feeling it's one of the shared files...

All brand new, internal, drives right now btw...

Thanks for sharing your experiennce Chi-Ho Lee, I'll follow up eventually,

Marla
March 19, 2007 04:59PM
but what is the problem?

are there any files offline?
no

so next time you get the warning, tick the "Forget" box, and it wont come up again.

another thing you can do is do a search of you project for any offline files.
do an "Apple F" in the browser.
narrow the search by changing the "Any column" pull-down to "offline" and search for "Yes" or "y"
chances are nothing will come up.

i wouldn't panic.

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics