Running out of disk space during capture

Posted by willfcp 
Running out of disk space during capture
March 25, 2007 02:33PM
I had been capturing hour-long tapes with no problems until Final Cut started stopping them at exactly 2 gigs and telling me it stopped capturing because I ran out of disk space. I still have over 200 gigs left on my external disk.

I was capturing to the disk by starting up log and capture and then pressing play and hitting capture now. It would run for the entire hour or so until the tape ended with anywhere from 9 to 13 gigs. Then, what seems to be all of a sudden, on tape number 4, it started stopping the tapes after 2 gigs with the out of disk space warning.

What's more, I switched over to marking the beginning and ending of the tapes and started using capture clip and it currently is capturing past the 2 gig mark but the file on the disk says it is 2 gigs and is no longer updating past that. Final Cut is still running/capturing and the hard disk is still blinking as if it's capturing and I can feel it buzzing along but the file size remains at 2 gigs and not updating past that. Maybe it's my external drive. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Re: Running out of disk space during capture
March 25, 2007 03:36PM
2G is the filesize limit on the external drive you bought and left in FAT32 format instead of changing it to Mac OS Extended format. Select the drive and press Apple-I to get the INFO panel.

Formatting destroys everything on the drive, so be careful if you need to change it.

If that's not it, you may be running out of drive space somewhere else. INFO all your connected drives and see how full they are. No drive on a video machine should be over 90% full.

Koz
March 25, 2007 03:59PM
You are correct. I checked and I never formatted it for Mac. I did switch to a different external drive and that's when it started having the issue. I'll try reformatting it (after I move everything). Thanks for the quick and helpful response.
March 25, 2007 11:49PM
That did the trick. Thanks again Koz.
March 26, 2007 01:11AM
<<<That did the trick. Thanks again Koz.>>>

You're so grateful that you'll come back and help somebody else?

Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics