Editing with 720p 24 and then converting to NTSC w/ FCP has anyone performed this surgery?

Posted by CutHowYaLike 
I'm looking at cutting a pilot with footage shot with the JVC 720p 24 mode. My final delivery to the broadcaster has to be NTSC. Has anyone cut and finished in 24p then exported to tape NTSC? I use the AJA Kona 2.

Cheers,

Jay
Re: Editing with 720p 24 and then converting to NTSC w/ FCP has anyone performed this surgery?
March 29, 2007 06:52PM
I have, but DVCPRO HD 720p at 23.98 to Digibeta..not HDV.

If you could capture your HDV footage as DVCPRO HD, then it's easy. The Kona 2 will downconvert to digibeta just fine.

HDV has to conform before you output...and the only way to export it is with PRINT TO VIDEO...no way to control the deck that way in terms of having it hit the 1;00;00;00 mark.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Shane,

Thanks. I'II do a test, but would like to stay native to my footage. D-Beta will be my final output. Can't wait until the day I can return to my editing chair and cut like a monkey and not have to worry about all these bugs.

'Till then,

Jay
Re: Editing with 720p 24 and then converting to NTSC w/ FCP has anyone performed this surgery?
March 29, 2007 07:39PM
What bugs? You are talking about editing a very difficult codec.

Why do you want to stay native? The only...and I mean ONLY reason for wanting to do that would be to output back to an HDV camera or deck. Every single professional out there will tell you to get OUT of the HDV codec as soon as possible. Especially if you want to output to digibeta. The people that use the JVC on "24" transfer it to HDCAM as soon as they can...several TV productions that I know that utilize HDV cameras all capture it as DVCPRO HD, or as some form of offline format if they are a Standard Def show. Quality loss won't be an issue if you capture as DVCPRO HD. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

I don't think you can output to digibeta with the footage in the HDV native format. Because to output to digibeta and hit the proper hour one timing, you need to EDIT TO TAPE. Native HDV cannot be output in that manner...PRINT TO TAPE only...and than wait for it to conform. But no hour 1 output is possible at that point. As far as I know.

Again, why stay native?

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Shane,

I did a test and I see no difference! Great. Working with 720p 24 is new to me, so if I cut with the DVCPRO HD codec and the time line is NDF.... will outputting through the AJA Kona 2 and using the pulldown for NTSC effect my total time on the timeline? For example the broadcaster wants the show to be 24:10 w/ 2x 10 second commercial breaks Drop Frame. I cut the show to 24:10 at NDF.

Cheers,

Jay
Just get the Kona 3. It's all real time, downconvert frame accurate, works evertime
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics