Is 16:9 footage acceptable in a 4:3 program?

Posted by Phil 
Is 16:9 footage acceptable in a 4:3 program?
April 10, 2007 05:07AM
I know this forum covers aspect ratio very thoroughly..however, being in a situation where everything I deliver is 16:9 FHA, I am slightly unsettled with the prospect of delivering a 4:3
program with some16:9 w/letterbox footage cut into it...is this acceptable? I get flagged by tech teams on occasion by dropping 4:3 in a 16:9 program...tips please would be greatly apprieciated.
Re: Is 16:9 footage acceptable in a 4:3 program?
April 10, 2007 08:29AM
<<<is this acceptable?>>>

I'd be calling the producer who's writing my checks. I see documentaries all the time that ooze between 4:3 and 16.:9 footage, but I never see a theatrical presentation like that. It's too easy to mistake the format change as a plot point.

Koz
April 10, 2007 09:13AM
I'd want to think about using a 16:9 letterbox matte on the 4:3 footage, then letterbox-crunching the anamorphic 16:9 footage. Basically, deliver a non-anamorphic show with letterbox. Good enough for HBO when we did it. That said, HBO didn't commission our film; it just paid for a license to exhibit it. However, it never asked for an anamorphic 16:9 version either.

www.derekmok.com
April 10, 2007 10:10AM
Thanks guys, lucky for me is that it's cool to run the 16:9 with the letterbox amidst the 4:3...cheers..
April 10, 2007 01:36PM
[ It's too easy to mistake the format change as a plot point. ]

The last time I saw that used deliberately as a story point was BRAINSTORM. Great invention movie by Douglas Trumbull. The original concept called for the special sensory movie segments to be done in Showscan, Trumbull's proprietary 60 fps format-- which probably would have driven a projectionist quite mad. They settled for format change.

If I'm delivering 4:3 and I get 16:9 material, the letterbox stuff gets scaled up-- as I recall 133%. There's some softening in DV but it's minor.

- Loren
Today's FCP 4 / 5 keytip:
Preview unrendered effects with Option-P or Option-Backslash!

The FCP KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
April 10, 2007 06:52PM
<<<The last time I saw that used deliberately as a story point was BRAINSTORM. Great invention movie by Douglas Trumbull.>>>

My first employer in Los Angeles was one of the techies on that movie. I think he can still tell you how they got all the effects.

But anyway, yes, it signals a change in the story, good if desired.

Is everyone getting tired of the KCET interstitial segments where they dramatically zoom out to 16:9? Anybody remember the Stereo Phonograph Records with the plane going over and the railroad train going by?

We get it. Really.

Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics