noising up audio in FCP 2.0

Posted by MichaelT 
noising up audio in FCP 2.0
April 10, 2007 03:25PM
hi,
Ok, i'm going for a fine rough mix of my audio. i have foreign language voices i'm trying to 'noise' up in FCP 2.0. does anyone have any suggestions using the audio filters??? i don't have SoundForge or ProTools or soundtrack pro to do this. I'm trying to go for a two-way radio compression with static and distortion. any suggestions for an audio filter 'rig' would be helpful!

thanks!
mike
Re: noising up audio in FCP 2.0
April 10, 2007 03:55PM
Look at the FAQ topic "How do I make a telephone voice?":

[www.lafcpug.org]

Your situation is a little different; you'd want to go even farther because radios and walkies have even worse sound quality. For the crackling, though, you'd probably have to find an audio plug-in or do it in Soundtrack Pro or ProTools. Two other things you can do: a) Find that crackling sound effect (you can try online, such as www.soundrangers.com or www.sounddogs.com) and mix it into your dialogue sound, or b) Get a microphone and make some of your own. Try rubbing some things against it, tapping it, wrapping it up in a sandbag, ruffling papers, etc., then process and boost that to distort it, then lower the volume to lay it into the mix.

www.derekmok.com
April 10, 2007 04:30PM
there's a great FREE FCP plugin from izotope called "Vinyl"

it;s made to simulate old records and has scratches and pops and hums etc. that you can feed in,
like one of those "old film" plug ins for audio.

that'll help a lot.

cheers,
nick
April 10, 2007 04:36PM
We did a helicopter microphone workup on the forum once. You may be able to use some of those ideas:

[www.lafcpug.org]

Koz
April 10, 2007 05:37PM
Speakphone (powered by Altiverb) by AudioEase is the cadilac solution. If you have access to virtual guitar amps (in software) you could funnel it through that and crunch up the sound to suit.

Found this post on dvxuser that might be of assistance. A fellow rattles off a bunch of commonly had plugins that you can use -- check QuickTime Pro, a lot of them are resident there. They will work with some amount tweaking.

Good luck.

-Andrew Stone

--
Steadistone Productions
April 10, 2007 06:18PM
Hey Nick, I wanted to download the Izotope Vinyl plugin but I didn't see one for Final Cut Pro. What am I missing?

www.derekmok.com
April 10, 2007 06:30PM
I believe Vinyl plugs into an audio program as a VST, like Bias Peak (probably STP?), not FCP. I got it some time ago, played with it in the Bias I got with FCP 3.

Scott
April 11, 2007 03:51AM
sorry abut that, folks.

when i got it a few years ago, the appropriate version was clearly labelled as "for FCP".
and it WAS a direct to FCP plugin.
my guess is that you should download the Audio Units version
(from section 3 in this page:
[www.izotope.com])

and watch out!
(my memory is kicking back in)
there is a gotcha with the installation of this plug in.
back then, what happened was that even though it's a freebie,
it needed an authorisation code on START UP OF FCP.
so don't install without making sure they have e-amiled you the code,
otherwise FCP wont open!

sounds bothersome, but the plugin is worth it.
a few years ago i used it to simulate an "old movie" sound on some "off TV" background audio for a scene in a feature i was cutting.
they used it in the final mix.

cheers,
nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics