Mac OS X v10.5 ?Leopard? won?t be released until October
April 12, 2007 06:59PM
Apple on Thursday released a statement noting that Mac OS X v10.5 ?Leopard? won?t be released until October. The cause of the delay? The iPhone.

I wonder how if at all this will affect A FCP Studio upgrade. I was thinking a lot of the next upgrade might rely on Mac OS 10.5
Read more at
[www.macworld.com]

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
Re: Mac OS X v10.5 ?Leopard? won?t be released until October
April 12, 2007 07:05PM
I'd doubt a new version of FCS wouild require Leopard. Might make parts of it work a bit better or faster but require it? Unlikely. But then what do I know.

Michael Horton
-------------------
April 12, 2007 07:17PM
Yea, I know it needs to be backwards compatible if they want to sell more copies. There are just so many cool features built into the 10.5 OS that will make some programs kick arse from what I'v seen.

------------------------
Dean

April 12, 2007 07:31PM
I think it is a smart move. Concentrate on getting the phone out. Apple branching out into other products is really what is making it the powerhouse that it is. First to offer an online music store...the most popular mp3 player out there....and now the iPhone, that is set to take the cel market by storm. How pressing is the new OS? Not that pressing. But getting the phone out there makes more business sense to me, and I ain't a business guy. Get the phone out there while the hype is hot. NEW customers is the thing. More people will buy the iphone who are PC people...and that will get them used to the Mac OS system and the Mac apps...and they will be more likely to switch to a Mac computer if they had the phoene. People getting Leopard are the old Mac base...they'll get it no matter when it ships. But if the iPhone is delayed, then the huge buzz Apple generated will fade, and many people might slam Apple for the delay. More so than the delay in the OS.

They are STILL faster than M$ is terms of getting a new OS out there. And in M$'s case, many people DON'T WANT TO SWITCH. Mac people are biting at the chomp (is that the expression) to get Leopard...but I think they can wait.

I mean...I am SERIOUSLY considering paying the penalty to Verizon to get the iPhone. And I know that most of it is hype...and I try not to buy into it. It is the full web capabilities of the thing that is drawing me.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
April 12, 2007 07:37PM
And you are aware that Verizon is trying to kill off Vonage Phone service VOIP?
April 12, 2007 07:42PM
I'm going to spending enough money this summer as it is, with CS3 and FCS6 AND an iPhone. So I appreciate Apple giving me a few months to refill my wallet before they hoover it out again.

JK

April 12, 2007 07:43PM
I am...that alone might give me incentive to switch. But Cingular gave us crappy cel service when we were with them. Well, we were AT&T Wireless, that got gobbled by Cingular...who is now AT&T wireless again.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
April 13, 2007 12:17AM
i am so phoquing suspicious of the i-phone as an actual danged PHONE. i went to cignular to upgrade my phone about 8 months ago. i wanted a phone that WAS a freakin PHONE! NOT an mp3 player, NOT a camera, NOT a PDA. they all sucked!!! i couldnt HEAR them, i couldnt USE them. i could take pix, i could play music. i could do all kinds of crap - but it was a CRAPPY AS HELL - PHONE!!!!!

i would bet my ass that the iphone will be great at EVERYTHING but a phone. just like the blackbery, the treo and all the other (to borrow a term from the music biz) multi-effect units...

do YOU want to TALK on your ipod??? no i dont either. and i dont want my phone to play music. if they do - BOTH WILL SUFFER - its just an engineering fact.

im happy to be wrong, but i doubt i will...

adobes CS level of their apps made them safe for housewives at the cost of pros, and now apples os is gonna be safe for pc phone people at the cost of their core user base.

screw everyone, im moving to an island and draw pictures in the sand
April 13, 2007 04:05AM
Wayne, are you going to Hawaii?

Rui Barros
Editor Colorist Trainer
Lisbon, Portugal
RTP Post-Production
Apple Certified Trainer FCP 7
Apple Certified Pro FCP 7
April 13, 2007 08:01AM
But back to the OS...

This may make great sense for Apple, but it's not good for me as an editor using a MacPro. I am looking forward to 10.5 to speed things up on the Intel-macs. Now I have to wait more.

On top of it, I have to navigate the mess Microsoft has caused with Vista. I use a PC laptop with DV Rack, but Adobe/Serious magic says DV Rack won't run on Vista.

Hosed, for now.

HarryD
April 13, 2007 10:51AM
Harry, Try DV Monitor on the Mac I don't know if it does everything DV Rack does but it's pretty cool. It's priced pretty nice as well.

------------------------
Dean

April 13, 2007 07:31PM
Ha! Delay is just another reason to wait before you buy new hardware at the moment I think....if you can.
April 13, 2007 11:06PM
[ i wanted a phone that WAS a freakin PHONE! NOT an mp3 player, NOT a camera, NOT a PDA. they all sucked!!! i couldnt HEAR them, i couldnt USE them.]

LOL

No, you need them all, Wayne. Even if you can't use it to videoconference because the camera doesn't swivel. Anti-futureproofing! Apple has had a couple of brain dead gaffs like that, like the upside down logo on Wall Street Powerbooks, exploding 5300's, lopping out the 2400 subnotebook, etc.

I needed a phone while saving for iPhone. So I got Boost Mobile. No contract, no penalty, just pay as you go, occasionally stuff 20 bucks into your call balance, buy at any CVS. 20 cents daytime, 10 cents night and weekends. Full national roam no extra. Not a bad temp solution. Uses Sprint towers.

There are other "iPhone Layover" solutions too, I'm not shilling for one in particular. This is the one I got. I'm mobile until I become iPhobile.

- Loren
Today's FCP 4 / 5 keytip:
Preview unrendered effects with Option-P or Option-Backslash!

The FCP KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
October 11, 2007 05:34PM
Shane, it's Chomping at the bit smiling smiley (as in a horse)
October 11, 2007 05:38PM
I am waiting for the next iPhone...one with 3G and not Edge. IF I CAN.

This is tough.

But, by the time they come out with that, I might be out of my Verizon contract...

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
October 11, 2007 06:18PM
Just cuz this keeps going back to the iPhone...

It's really pretty cool. And it works well as a PHONE, first and foremost. Yes, EDGE is hella-slow but I usually luck out with a wireless hotspot when I need to look at the web; and email is pretty bearable even at EDGE speeds. 3G access is going to be dependent on AT+T and when they get their act together. I'm just happy I have a phone that actually works in my house, which I couldn't say about T-Mobile.

I'm hoping that Apple can keep upgrading the original model for a long time with software upgrades so this doesn't just turn into an outdated hunk of glass in my pocket. Maybe v2.0 won't be a newer device, just a software download... what? WHAT!? Stop laughing, I'm serious smiling smiley

JK

October 11, 2007 06:31PM
Wow I can't believe this thread got dug up but we're getting close folks. Some rumor sites have October 26 for ship date which go quite well with previous ship dates. But I guess it won't if it isn't ready. I guess that's all I get to say before I have to sign an NDA tomorrow.

------------------------
Dean

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics