Firewire drives with Laptop, RAID?

Posted by JoeE 
Firewire drives with Laptop, RAID?
April 13, 2007 09:27AM
I'm taking over a film that's already been shot and working on my laptop for a month until editing rooms can be set up. There's about 700GB of media and I have 2 OWC Mercury Elite Pro FW400/800 500Gb drives to copy the dailies on to (there will be no capturing.) I'm using a MacBook Pro 2.1GHz core duo with 2 GB Ram with only a FW400 port. What's the best way to set up the drives to insure that I don't get stuttering picture or any data speed related thing? Do I configure them in some sort of RAID (I don't need redundancy) or do I just daisy chain them using the FW800 port? Maybe because I only have the FW400 port, it doesn't matter. I've done many shows before on FW drive, but have always had individual inputs for each drive, no daisy chaining.

Thanks.
Re: Firewire drives with Laptop, RAID?
April 13, 2007 10:51AM
If you want to do this correctly, let me tell you about a better solution.

A two SATA port Express card and two SATA drives with replacable trays.
[www.thefinalcutstore.com]

I am using this to capture 1080i off of an HVX200 camera in real time.

Firewire 400 or 800 have design limits on the throughput that can not be exceeded even with a RAID speed volume set. This card set can deliver better than average RAID speeds.

Just an alternative idea.
April 13, 2007 11:43AM
Yes, that would work great, but the only drives I have are just firewire. Is there any benefit at all to RAID in my configuration?
April 13, 2007 07:06PM
My answer to your question!

""What's the best way to set up the drives to insure that I don't get stuttering picture or any data speed related thing?""
April 14, 2007 12:45PM
Got it.....

Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics