Final Cut 6

Posted by Johan Polhem 
Final Cut 6
April 16, 2007 01:05AM
I may be coming with old news here....

I recently oredered a massive editing system from our mac retailer.
After some good advice from this site I waited until after the NAB fair last week to place the final order.

That was a good move I think since our Mac people just called up and said they tested the new Final cut studio 2 with Final Cut 6 and motion 3

Apparently Final cut 6 has many improvements and Motion 3 looks ready to take on After Effects (on first glance) with its real-time 3D environment.
There is also a new app called "color" that renders in 32 bit float.

Has anyone here used these new apps?

Johan Polhem
Motion Graphics
www.johanpolhem.com
Re: Final Cut 6
April 16, 2007 01:16AM
All this software will NOT be available for at least a month... so , no we haven't used these new apps.

Mark
April 16, 2007 01:32AM
<<Apparently Final cut 6 has many improvements and Motion 3 looks ready to take on After Effects (on first glance) with its real-time 3D environment.>>

Motion vs. AE will likely never be a direct comparison. Motion is all about making common effects tasks easy and convenient.

That said, Motion mostly does the things I need it to do as an editor, and fast. I think of AE like I do of ProTools; only good in the hands of a dedicated expert. I have no desire to become an AE guru.

- Justin Barham -
April 16, 2007 01:49AM
well its all on the website - [www.apple.com]
April 16, 2007 05:56AM
Hey Mark - what do you think of the new Final Cut Server? Are you at NAB?

April 16, 2007 08:27AM
Yes, I'm at NAB. "Final Cut Server" is #1 on my list to explore today.

Based on the presentation yesterday.... FCS sounds very interesting! This is Apple's answer to Avid's "Interplay", and it promises to offer many improvements to the networked workflow.

I'll post more after I've had a chance to speak with Apple.

Mark
April 16, 2007 04:39PM
Mark,

Photos, photos, photos... please post some photos and report everything about "The 6-Pack"

Rui Barros
Editor Colorist Trainer
Lisbon, Portugal
RTP Post-Production
Apple Certified Trainer FCP 7
Apple Certified Pro FCP 7
April 16, 2007 05:47PM
I sat at the Motion booth for a bit today... a line of probably 10 Mac Pro 8-cores, each running motion, with their own Apple genius. I am an after effects novice, and Motion seems so much more intuitive (a la FCP) for 3d editing. I threw together a 3d project with the included media (admittedly, softball stuff) in just a few minutes.

Outside of 3D, the coolest thing in the new version of motion is the vector-based "light ribbons"... just draw a line, and the light ribbon follows your motion path. It appears as if you can make these 2d objects into 3d with a click of the mouse. Suffice to say I can't wait to get this baby in my hands; I will be purchasing it the day it appears in stores.

Color looks cool also, especially the click-and-draw mattes (which I've been wishing for since AVID). Didn't put it through it's paces, though.

FCP timelines not requiring matched settings anymore is also near the top of my "favorites" list, although not as much for me as for some of you.

FCP Server seems cool, but of limited use to me -- and I run 3 edit bays. I honestly feel I don't understand the complexity of it, but had to go to all the other booths, and didn't have time to have it explained to me. (Again.)

I am apprehensive as to how all these upgrades will run on my G5's... but I'm sure it'll be fine. Just not as speedy as the 8-cores they had at the event yesterday. :-)
April 16, 2007 06:57PM
if i could link a sound clip to this post, it would be me screaming at the top of my lungs , "YEAH!!!!!! EAT YOUR HEART OUT AE!!"

i am so happy about the 3d space i just about need a condom to celebrate.

this puts fcp studio over the edge as far as i am concerned. plus for those of us that own shake this studio is practically all you will need til budgets exceed 25k.

"YEAH!!!!!! EAT YOUR HEART OUT AE!!"

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
April 17, 2007 07:32AM
woah.
April 17, 2007 04:08PM
Hey Mike,

I guess that the lucky guys who are there have some cameras and they already had recorded
dozens of tapes. Can they send some footage to the forum and be showned to us.
If you need space in a server i have near 50 GB availble.

Rui Barros
Editor Colorist Trainer
Lisbon, Portugal
RTP Post-Production
April 17, 2007 04:29PM
Rui, I'm back home already, and I didn't shoot any video, nor take any pictures. Yes, I know, take away my geek card and send me to geek detention.

Perhaps someone else will see this and take heed?
Anonymous User
April 17, 2007 06:46PM
We are shooting interviews with various vendors as well as the SuperMeet and that pod cast should be up on the net in about 3 weeks.

Mike
April 18, 2007 12:04AM
""YEAH!!!!!! EAT YOUR HEART OUT AE!!""

-That remains to be seen.
My guess is that motion can most of the stuff that AE can do but not all of it.
I have used AE for 5 years but never even tried motion before now cause it always seemed so "basic".
I guess I'll give it a go now.

And for you geeks out there:
-I just ordered another editing suite on top of the other order and they are being connected via Final Cut Seerver and fiber-optics and other geeky gadgets. Cant wait.

Johan Polhem
Motion Graphics
www.johanpolhem.com
April 18, 2007 02:14AM
all i know is that i was dreading having to learn all those programs that would make after effects a monster. for me it was the learning curb thing. i was gonna force it on myself till i saw this.

ae has held the market on video graphics for a while it really needs a competitor. even though motion may not do all that AE can adding that 3d space may be just enough to wake them up over at adobe. the learning curb for the average 3yr editor is big. they need to think a little bit more about user friendliness.

i agree that this learning curb separates the joe blows from true professionals but by the time that a person get to realizing codecs, i feel that that even acts as a buffer for the soft hearted. the real truth is that the only people that really make it in the editing biz are the ones who eat sleep and drink it anyway. user freindly doesn't replace drive and passion.
(reread this paragraph with some patriotic flutes in the back ground and we may just have a scene here)

you are probly a ninja on AE because of your long time usage. i have never really had a chance to use it real world. motion is easier to me. having the motion3 upgrade alone is a major enhancement to what i am currently doing.

fcpstudio2 is my very next software purchase you can bet your sweet ashe it is.

ps:
eat your heart out AE!!!!:-))

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
April 18, 2007 09:29AM
Thanks.

Rui Barros
Editor Colorist Trainer
Lisbon, Portugal
RTP Post-Production
April 19, 2007 12:57AM
"you are probly a ninja on AE because of your long time usage. i have never really had a chance to use it real world. motion is easier to me. having the motion3 upgrade alone is a major enhancement to what i am currently doing. "

-Yeah, as always it comes down to what you use it for.
I have found though, that the more you learn about programs like after effects (and more so Shake) the easier it is to learn new stuff. The learning curve is steep but it gets easier after a while once you've passed that first major hill.

And even though a program that is easy-to-use like Motion is great initially I think thats its a good idea to try and pick up more advanced applications if you want to advance as an editor.

Johan Polhem
Motion Graphics
www.johanpolhem.com
April 19, 2007 02:51AM
i agree i have shake and it is not being used much. i need a class because if they used this in the bigs then i need to be at least moderated with it.

i have seen some really AMAZING things it can do.

i have learned a lot in the past few months under fire. now i look back at what i did last year and mentally correct it. lol

in the end its how deep do ya wanna go. i think some stop at enough to pass.

i told my nephew that, "the only thing people pay really good money for is the things they either dont know how to do, or are unwilling to learn."

""""
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics