exporting XML with non-drop timecode

Posted by eliseinwonderland 
exporting XML with non-drop timecode
April 17, 2007 06:27PM
Hello! New to the forum. Hope this works.

At the end of the day, I am trying to export accurate marker TC/Comment for a third party app in order to create an accurate log. I'm having trouble exporting an accurate XML w/non-drop footage.

I started off with non-timecoded material (VHS window dub of timecoded master tape)
I went to 'modify' --> 'timecode' and easily gave it proper non-drop timecode to match the window burn
Everything was groovy.
I set markers. Gave them names. All the timecode matched up perfectly in the Browser.
I exported an XML by dumping it into a new sequence (which I set to 'non-drop')
The third party app (ReadXML) reads all the Timecodes as if they were Drop-Frame, and consequently the timecodes are all off.
I don't understand this, since I modified the clip's properties to be non-drop and everything looked right in the browswer.
Does the process of exporting the XML ignore the fact that I changed the TC to 'non-drop'??

If anyone can help a girl I'd be very appreciative! thanks!
Re: exporting XML with non-drop timecode
April 17, 2007 06:56PM
The XML export itself is correct. You can test this by exporting it then re-importing it- don't reconnect- you'll see your sequence tc and clip tc are all correct, and (clip and sequence) markers in the right spots. So it sounds like an issue or setting with the app you are using to read the XML. Sorry this doesn't answer the question- but it does eliminate that its a problem in the original XML. You may want to try different versions of XML export, 1, 2 or 3 to see if the XML version itself is compatible with that XML-reading app.

Andrew
April 17, 2007 08:20PM
Thanks, Andrew.
I also tried another app (Final Print) and it does the EXACT SAME THING. Hmmmm. Anyone know why an app like ReadXML or Final Print would do this, and how to correct it?
April 18, 2007 01:15AM
Hi Elise

Not working eh? Well both those apps were made in lovely lovely PAL land where drop frame is just a weird and magical science that only affects NTSC type people, so it seems kind of odd that you're seeing issues like this.

Here's a thought albeit not an answer to your question. You say:
"I exported an XML by dumping it into a new sequence (which I set to 'non-drop') "

Why do your dump to a sequence before exporting the XML? Seems like an extra step thats only going to help to compliicate the process (although it shouldn't stop it from working).

Just select the clips directly in the browser, then choose Export > XML. Grab that file and open it with ReadXML, Final Print and see if that works any better ... or not.

Best
Andy
April 18, 2007 11:42AM
We may be in PAL land but 65%+ of our customers are in the US, so of course we have to build our products to handle drop/non-drop frame TC.

Elise, send me the XML - info@digital-heaven.co.uk - and I'll be happy to take a look.

Martin Baker
[www.digital-heaven.co.uk]
Unique plug-ins and tools for Apple Pro Apps
April 18, 2007 12:47PM
I tried this with Final Print and it got the TC correct for NDF. Although I couldn't find a way to get clip TC, just sequence TC. But I haven't spent enough time with this app yet.

Andrew Balis
Lead Final Cut Pro Instructor
www.moviola.com
April 18, 2007 02:04PM
Currently Final Print only supports listing of markers in sequences. Support for listing of clip markers in browser clips is on the way...

Martin Baker
[www.digital-heaven.co.uk]
Unique plug-ins and tools for Apple Pro Apps
April 21, 2007 12:08PM
The way FCP XML handles timecode, it is up to the reader app to handle the calculations for drop/nondrop, 30/29.97 fps, 24/23.976 fps etc. If you export a one clip sequence and open the XML with Text Edit, you can see the tags that relate to timecode. For example, a basic timecode rate tag of 30 has an additional tag of NTSC, which tells the reader app that the rate is 29.97. The same is true for drop/nondrop. Every thing else. in, out, duration, etc, is exported as frames. The relation to timecode address/time base must be calculated.

Robert Weaver
Director of Post Production
Starz Media - Film Roman
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics