Farewell, DV Rack: Despising Adobe more and more...

Posted by bdplaid 
Farewell, DV Rack: Despising Adobe more and more...
April 18, 2007 10:25AM
Rant du jour:

Well, the upgrade pricing to get Photoshop CS3 is looking steep to me, but to top it off, Adobe - having bought Serious Magic some time ago - is changing DV Rack to be Adobe OnLocation, which make it more or less go away for me, From Adobe:

"DV Rack HD 2 is currently available as a standalone product. By July 2007, DV Rack will become Adobe® OnLocation? CS3 and will be available only when buying Adobe Premiere® Pro CS3, Adobe Creative Suite® 3 Production Premium, or Creative Suite 3 Master Collection. There will be no upgrade pricing from DV Rack HD 2 to Adobe Premiere Pro CS3, Production Premium, or Master Collection when the products become available."

That the current version won't run in Win Vista is a problem, That OnLocation won't run under Mac OS is a problem. That there is no upgrade path is a problem. That OnLocation is only available with Premiere is just stupid.

Hubris, I guess.

HarryD
Re: Farewell, DV Rack: Despising Adobe more and more...
April 18, 2007 01:16PM
Take a look at this [redlightningsoftware.com]. It's a Mac based replacement for DVRack and it looks like it will be a good replacement.
April 18, 2007 03:50PM
Thanks for the heads-up, but have you seen the price? $499. Too expensive, especially since I use a PC in the field and can't/won't buy a MacBook for that. For that price (MacBookPro+HDMonitor Pro=$2500) I might as well get the Adobe Production Pack CS3.

See, my whine is about already having HD Rack 2, but I want it to run on a new laptop, which means Windows Vista. So the current plan is to get the PC laptop, wipe the hard drive and install XP on it. Believe me, I'm so angry at all of these companies that I'd go Linux if I thought my software would run.

I know I'm not alone in my requirements, which makes me wonder if these companies do any market research at all? No wonder they fail - and have software piracy.

I need a pill... :-)

thanks,

HarryD
April 19, 2007 12:48AM
there is a lot of variable on the desktop AND the horizon - various flavors of "pseudo HD" various chip changes, OS changes, blah, blah, blah...

get what works for you and your workflow, windows boxes are CHEAP! make the money you can and dont wait for the manufacturers to answer all your needs in one shot
April 19, 2007 03:42AM
another option is scopebox [scopebox.com] ... very expensive for HD version
April 19, 2007 05:35AM
Wayne:

You're quite right. I'm just whining about this, hoping that Adobe somehow magically makes OnLocation available as standalone. Not likely, I know. I really hate buying software that's perfectly serviceable, then one of the parties involved (usually the OS maker, as is true in this case with Windows Vista) decides to update things and bingo - my software won't work.

I recall back in the OS 8 days using an Avid I used to have this trouble all the time, only it was worse because I had one situation where if the wrong version of software was loaded with a particular OS version, it would damage data on the hard drive. It put me off to macs for years. These days I'm sick of the lock Adobe seems to have, but that's just me.

thanks,

HarryD
April 19, 2007 01:13PM
do you know anyone else who will be getting CS3?

chances are they wont have any need for On Location,
so it may be quite legal for you to use it on your system...
(or that may just be wishful thinking)

nick
April 19, 2007 02:50PM
Nick:

that's a very interesting idea; thanks!

h

HarryD
April 20, 2007 11:32PM
Nick Meyers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> do you know anyone else who will be getting CS3?
>
> chances are they wont have any need for On
> Location,
> so it may be quite legal for you to use it on your
> system...
> (or that may just be wishful thinking)
>
>
> nick

Except that usually the licenses for bundles are limited to installing all apps in the bundle on the same computer. No splitsies.

One shall have to see about the new CS3 license, when it is released.

deb
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics