Final Cut Studio 2 questions

Posted by PfA 
Re: Final Cut Studio 2 questions
April 23, 2007 11:36AM
Thanks for the quick answer!

Well, then I'll have that on top of my wish list for the next release!

While I'm at it:

Any change to trim controls? One thing I really miss from Avid (hate to say it) is being able to slip/slide trim with several clips on the same track at the same time AND to see this in full trim mode (not in the mini windows in the canvas) AND to get this out through firewire.

Also, a long standing issue, being able to disable a track without losing renders (yes I know the workaround to disable just a single clip). Any news there?

Regards,

Rasmus in Sweden
April 23, 2007 02:10PM
> being able to disable a track without losing renders

Currently the only way to do that is to disable the track by using Clip Enable/Disable (CONTROL-B). After seeing the results, instead of using that command to turn the track back on, you use Undo and the render files will come back.

www.derekmok.com
April 23, 2007 07:25PM
Hey Rasmas, the pony is in the post. Unfortunately we had to make a few ... adjustments .. to it so it would fit in the airmail envelope.

April 23, 2007 07:37PM
Jude Cotter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Rasmas, the pony is in the post. Unfortunately
> we had to make a few ... adjustments .. to it so
> it would fit in the airmail envelope.

Cool, Jude. I wish the pony could join Bruce the wonder Yak in FCP 6? They could have kids and there would be small creatures running around everywhere in the timeline messing up my perfect film. Oops, it's four o'clock in the morning in Sweden, that explains the state of my mind... smiling smiley

Regards,

Rasmus in Sweden
April 23, 2007 07:51PM
The pony is in the SuperMeet magazine giving keyboard shortcuts. She is joined by Bruce who exclaims, "You got to love a Pony who knows Keyboard Shortcuts."

Michael Horton
-------------------
April 23, 2007 08:06PM
Michael Horton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The pony is in the SuperMeet magazine giving
> keyboard shortcuts. She is joined by Bruce who
> exclaims, "You got to love a Pony who knows
> Keyboard Shortcuts."

Aaah, I knew I should have gone to Vegas after all. I should find someone around here who could design a Swedish Elk to join them both.

Regards,

Rasmus in Sweden
April 23, 2007 11:12PM
Thanks Paul. I take it this means motion effects won't carry over to Color, but geometry effects made in Color will carry back to FCP.

All the best,

Tom
April 23, 2007 11:45PM
Paul,

Thanks for all your answers. Much appreciated obviously.

I'm curious about how Open Timeline will work. Specifically, after you're locked and have fully rendered it, how will it look? How does FCP 6 handle say PAL and NTSC in the same Open Timeline when it's time to output?

Forgive my ignorance but I've never worked like that before, even with other NLEs that do that. It sounds a bit too good to be true. It's like some weird witchcraft. smiling smiley

Best,

- Justin Barham -
April 24, 2007 01:45AM
Paul,

Something I cannot seem to find documented anywhere is whether or not FCP6 will handle HDV video from the V1U any better than it does now -- that is, will it natively capture and do the pull-down on the fly to a 24-frame file, or will I still need to use AIC or the equivalent to convert it (requiring more time and storage, while losing original timecode information).I realize that this may be as much a Sony issue as Apple, but man-oh-man, would I love to have that one solved...

Thanks!

Andrew Putschoegl
April 24, 2007 07:58AM
"One thing I really miss from Avid (hate to say it) is being able to slip/slide trim with several clips on the same track at the same time"

Hmmm, I came across this post while searching the archives for how to do exactly this. I've got HUNDREDS of edits that have gone out of sync (music video --- silent digibeta footage, matched up to separate audio file) due to a lame-ass non-controllable deck recapture. I'm moving all the clips from one tape over one by one by the same amount, but I keep thinking there has to be a way to grab all the clips and slide them at once. No?
April 24, 2007 08:57AM
Keep the thread on topic folks. This is not a thread for complaints or feature requests.

Michael Horton
-------------------
April 24, 2007 12:49PM
I love the addition of gain/normalize in FCP. That's been on my list ever since we switched.

It wasn't mentioned anywhere, so I think we still can't move more than one audio keyframe at a time. Or can we?

There is one thing about Soundtrack Pro I'd really like to know. In the old version, when sending any clip to STP, the entire media file is sent. We work with entire 20-minute feature reels, so changing one little sound clip results in a rediculously big STP file (unless we export and reimport just that clip). So, for Sountrack Pro 2 - do you now have the option of either sending the entire media file to STP or just the clip length with handles?

Thanks Paul for taking the time to answer our questions.

--- Markus ---
April 24, 2007 04:47PM
Quick ProRes question. Will ProRes be an available codec in both the Mac and Windows versions of QT? At my current gig we send finished, hi-res QTs over our network to a compression team (using Squeeze on PCs) and assuming ProRes is cross platform it looks like it might be a better solution than what we are doing now.

-A
April 25, 2007 06:02PM
This thread is fantastic! Thanks in advance.

Quick intro- I'm using a 17" MBP Intel Core Duo (not 2)/2.16GHz/2Gb/OS 10.4.8 and FCP 5.1.4. I shoot with a Canon XH-A1 and HV20 (both HDV) usually in 24p and have an Apple 23" HD Display.

Problems- Editing with native HDV is a challenge to say the least. The HV20 stores 24p within 60i so that when captured in FCP to add to my A1 footage, it needs to be rendered. I'm also told I should perform 3:2 pulldown with the HV20 footage within Cinema Tools but that's a proceess in itself. There doesn't appear to be any way capture the footage in a different format or codec (HD-SDI, DVCProHD) with the MBP as it requires a capture card only available for desktops (there are plenty of boxes to bring in HDV over FW or HDMI and convert to HD-SDI, but I have no way bring in the HD-SDI).

Solutions?- Will FCP2 solve any of these problems (open timeline, ProRes, handling of HDV, etc.)? Should I abandon the functionality of the laptop and get a desktop instead? (I'd prefer not to, but I don't seem to have options right now.) What would the AJA ioHD do for me?
April 26, 2007 09:49AM
Hi Paul,

Any idea of the release or shipping date?

Thanks for all your input so far.

Ken
May 01, 2007 11:51AM
Hi Paul. I'm thinking about buying FCS2, but I'm afraid my machines won't do the job, specially with Color. I have a Dual 1.8 G5 with a 9600 XT and a 15'' Macbook Pro (only the 17'' model is listed in the Color requirements). Can I run Color in any of them? If i can, witch one is the best?

Thanks,

Luís.
May 03, 2007 06:28PM
If I transcode all of my HDV footage to ProRes, will the original timecode remain intact?

This thread is excellent; I wish I had found it sooner. Thank you so much.
May 03, 2007 06:40PM
Who knows...yet. Probably not if you use QT Conversion but maybe if you use Batch Export? Guess we will know when we get it.

Michael Horton
-------------------
May 31, 2007 10:27AM
Dear Paul,

I saw the features in Final Cut Studio 2 and I want to upgrade now!

The problem is, I have a dual 1Ghz PowerMac G4 (mirrored drive doors) and the minimum requirements say a 1.25 Ghz G4. Based on your posting, it you state that Apples install will not block me (just for being a G4) which implies that all i need to do is buy a better video card (or processor) upgrade.

Will an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB (AGP slot) do the trick for my old G4 dual 1Ghz?
If not, what is a recommended upgrade path for my hardware to be able to run FCS 2?

Thanks!

-Ira
May 31, 2007 10:42AM
Ira

FCS2 will install on your computer and a new video card will help a bit but it but you will probably find Motion and Color to be un-responsive. If you dont care then go ahead and buy it and when you get the money buy a newer computer.

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 07, 2007 09:14PM
Hiya Paul,

First off...thank you for taking the time to be with us. It's comforting to have you here smiling smiley

I know this is more of a "Feature Request", but it is something that has been bugging me for some time now. What are the chances of FCP programmers adding a column in the Browser to designate whether or not a clip has been used in the timeline & how many times (like After Effects - each AE clip states in the Project Window how many times it was used in the project)? Could this be in the next FCP6 "dot" update? This is a terribly important simple little item that would be super-valuable for power users. Over 1000 clips in a browser...and don't want to accidentally use B-roll more than once.

What are the chances of this being implemented?

Thank you, Paul smiling smiley

Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics