Mac Pro video card upgrade?

Posted by guamrider 
Mac Pro video card upgrade?
April 20, 2007 05:45PM
I use FCP to produce short underwater videos of different critters, and the production does not involve very "heavy" production on either fcp or in graphics production. I also want to connect a second monitor, either flat screen or a video monitor.

I think I have to replace the GT7300 GT that came with the computer, but I'm trying to find info on what (and where) I should get. Couldn't I just get another 7300 and use it for the second monitor, or is there a single (and obviously higher performance) video card that will do the same thing.

I've searched the FAQ portion of the forum and the web, but theres not much info available that I can find, so I KNOW someone on this list will have an answer. Any answers would be appreciated.

Mac pro 2.66, 3gb , Dell 27" monitor
Re: Mac Pro video card upgrade?
April 20, 2007 10:39PM
The ATI Radeon X1900 comes recommended by some users. Could probably benefit from maximum VRAM-- I think 256 MB.

Check the Apple Store, pretend to buy one, see the choices.

- Loren
Today's FCP 4 / 5 keytip:
Preview unrendered effects with Option-P or Option-Backslash!

The FCP KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
April 20, 2007 11:46PM
After looking at more data on the 7300 card I found out that it will drive two monitors. Read that somewhere the DVI connector on the right (viewing from rear) is the one to use for the large monitors.

Other than extensive usage of Motion or After Effects, is there any other reason to upgrade the video card? It shouldn't really affect video.
April 21, 2007 01:28AM
Just in case it makes a difference to you, the ATI Radeon X1900 has 512MB VRAM.
April 21, 2007 08:53AM
Chuck,

The X1900XT has 512MB Vram and is ONLY available from Apple for the MacPro. ATI also has an X1900 with only 256 MB Vram for the Quad G5 (late 2005 )ilk.

Apparently the only way to get a X1900XT 512 card to replace the 7300 installed by default is to buy one from Apple or a Reseller.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics