Using 3rd Monitor w/FCS 1

Posted by JoeE 
Using 3rd Monitor w/FCS 1
April 24, 2007 07:11PM
The production I'm on has an extra 23" cinema display available (the old, picture frame kind.) Right now I'm using 2 23" aluminum cinema displays with a dual 2.0ghz G5 and I could use some more real estate. How do I hook up that other display to use as a bin monitor? I need another video card, right? Is it an easy add-on? Will it potentially mess anything else up?
Thanks!
Re: Using 3rd Monitor w/FCS 1
April 24, 2007 08:44PM
challenge is going to be finding a mac friendly pci monitor card as your default video slot is occupied
April 24, 2007 08:57PM
I know when I purchased my Mac Pro, the default video card was available to be purchased multiple times... such that if you installed two, you had four monitor ports. I was told by the guy from Apple that installing it was just as simple and intuitive as configuring the typical side-by-side display.

In fact, just today I was noticing a couple of abandoned 19" LCD's in the corner of the office... wondering how I could get four monitors running on my G5, and how much it would dog the system down.
April 24, 2007 10:06PM
I remember many years ago a guy set up his Mac to run seven screens for a flight simulator. It's a feature of the mac to be able to run multiple screens without any internal bleeding.

April 24, 2007 10:21PM
If you have a PCI (or PCI-X) machine, you should be able to add at least one other monitor using this Radeon 9200 PCI card. Assuming you have an open PCI slot.

I'm not sure there is a similar option yet for the PCI-Express Macs.

EDIT:

PS this IS a painless procedure. Just drop in the card and connect a DVI or VGA monitor. ADC monitors require an adapter thingy. You can do VGA to DVI or ADC but it's a pain and expensive so I wouldn't bother, IMHO.

- Justin Barham -
April 25, 2007 11:34AM
Haven't heard any user reports on this [www.matrox.com] but looks like it could work in side by side mode.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics