computer repair update

Posted by Lisha 
computer repair update
April 26, 2007 02:07PM
Hello to all,

After 3 logic boards and 1 processor, my G4 is still in the "shop" since March 5th. (See previous post -- [www.lafcpug.org])

1 week ago the "shop" told me, "We don't know what is wrong with it, it is unreliable and does not boot consistently". When I took the computer to the shop on March 5th, it was booting fine and my only concern was a loud fan. The shop insisted that the loud fan was a symptom of a bad logic board. The first logic board from Apple did not work. The shop said you need a new processor. They put in a new processor and the computer still would not boot up. They went back to saying it needed a new logic board and ordered another logic board. After the second logic board was installed, the computer would still not boot up. The shop ordered another logic board from Apple and installed it. My computer booted while in the shop, but when I got it home, it would not boot up. The shop sent out a tech that got the computer to boot, however the next morning the computer would not boot. The shop took the computer back to have another look at it and came up with "We don't know what is wrong with it, it is unreliable and does not boot consistently". The "shop" offered to sell me a computer (2.5 Ghz Quad / 512 mb ram / 250 GB HD / 16x Superdrive / GeForce 6800 Video Card).

I think I should get a second opinion before sending my G4 off to computer heaven.

Apple suggested I bring my computer to The Apple Store for a diagnosis -- since there actually hasn't been one. However, I am waiting to hear back from the "shop" because last conversation I had with them, not only do they want to charge me for the last logic board they installed -- which still does not have my computer working. But they do not have the original logic board that was in my computer when I brought it to them.

Thoughts from the group...

As always, thanks so much!!!!
Lisha
Re: computer repair update
April 26, 2007 02:12PM
For one thing, don't buy a Quad from that "shop"! I'm smelling a rat.

If this place tried to order three logic boards from Apple and none of them solved the issue, I'm thinking the following possibilities:

a) They are getting their parts not from Apple, but from secondhand or even black-market (stolen?) sources;
b) They aren't even fixing the right thing;
c) They're deliberately screwing you;
d) They're not qualified to diagnose this issue.

To me, a responsible repair place should tell you if something is impossible to fix, not continue to order parts and cover it up.

If this were my computer, I'd take it from that repair place and write some negative reviews. And cite the place by name.

www.derekmok.com
April 26, 2007 03:28PM
Well, they were right that erratic high fans usually means something wrong with the logic board, but it doesn't have to. This is not a good place to suddenly order a new board.

Apple has some impressive tricks to resolve machine failure issues, and they rarely get stuck with a mystery machine. I do think you may be dealing with a second tier company that's not following the Apple Party Line.

<<<But they do not have the original logic board that was in my computer when I brought it to them. >>>

There's the alarm bell right there. Never close out a trouble ticket until the machine has been "Returned To Factory Specifications."

The usual problem--unlike yours--is that the customer gets a completely checked and cleared machine and then gets it home and it fails immediately. We have pages of ways to help you there. But you are dealing with a poor repair shop.

Koz
April 26, 2007 03:28PM
I don't want to scare you, but it sure sounds like this "shop" is totally incompetent to repair a lawnmower, much less a computer.

I don't remember which G4 you were having repaired, but my Quicksilver 2002 G4 finally had the main cooling fan die and I replaced it for $30.00.

If that is what you took the computer "in" for a repair and they managed to really screw it up, I would first (if I had an attorney) - get a letter of intent to collect all monies paid to date, for this repair and require them to reinstall all original parts.

These tactics are used on women and car repairs quite frequently, so don't let these ______ take you for a ride.
April 26, 2007 04:05PM
G4's made awful fan noise... Here's a note from Apple on the G4 fan noise issue...

[docs.info.apple.com]

I had the mirror door G4 and you had to clean it weekly especially under the front handle which blocked the air intake making the fans run harder and louder than the usual.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics