Help Needed with Render Quality Settings in Video Processing Tab...

Posted by D-Mac 
Help Needed with Render Quality Settings in Video Processing Tab...
April 27, 2007 01:01PM
In a sequence with DV/DVCPro-NTSC, DV-PAL, DVCPro-PAL, or DVCPro50 (NTSC or PAL) set as the compressor, the Video Processing tab option is stuck on "Always render in RGB." Every choice is dimmed.

I am running FCP 5.1.4 and QT 7.1.5 (PPC). I deleted preferences. I deleted the FCP installation and reinstalled FCP from the 5.1 disc (and applied the update). I reinstalled QT 7.1.5 from the standalone installer. I also uninstalled the Decklink SW and tried using FCP (later re-installing the current version, 6.1). Same thing still happens.

On the other hand, Apple's, Blackmagic's, and AJA's uncompressed codecs allow the render "quality" setting to be changed, as expected. Same with HDV, DVCProHD, Apple Intermediate, and Photo JPEG codecs. Of course, the Animation codec is rightly "stuck" on "Always render in RGB."

I didn't try to install FCP 5.1, QT 7.1 and update each incrementally, testing each configuration... (For example, test FCP 5.1.2 with QT 7.1.3, or some such thing.)

Anyone see this kind of behavior? I guess my next step would be to erase my startup drive and reinstall everything. Fortunately, I am not working with a DV25 timeline right now. I would appreciate any assistance or guidance in finding a solution to this issue. Thanks.

-Dave

Dual 2.5 GHz G5, Mac OS X (10.4.9), 8 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL, Decklink Pro, Tascam FW-1884, RAID
Re: Help Needed with Render Quality Settings in Video Processing Tab...
April 27, 2007 03:25PM
yep.

switch to another sequence setting, like uncompressed if you want to render YUV.

nick
April 28, 2007 04:02PM
Nick,

Thanks for the advice. Switching to another codec just to render YUV isn't a good long-term, or permanent, solution.

I have been working with HDV, DVCProHD, and uncompressed SD sequences recently, so I didn't notice what triggered the issue (update to a 3rd party tool, or updates to FCP, QT, or Mac OS X). It's strange that the codecs that weren't allowing the proper render choices, DV/DVCPro and DVCPro50, are all YUV-native codecs. None of the "higher quality" YUV-based codecs were having issues... go figure...

I found the solution and will post it separately.

I really appreciate that you took the time to respond.

Best regards,

Dave
April 28, 2007 04:21PM
I did a clean install of the OS and the Pro Apps. Afterwards, everything was fine and I was able to select the rendering "quality" for DV/DVCPro and DVCPro50 codec-based sequences.

Then, I began to add my third party apps and utilities back into the mix, testing FCP periodically. It turned out to be "FruitMenu Madness"... I'm glad my FCP, QT, and OS setup weren't somehow corrupted.

I will now answer my own question, and provide the following info to hopefully help someone else who runs into this issue and searches for help...

It turns out that the current version of FruitMenu (Apple menu enhancement haxie), 3.6.4, is incompatible with FCP 5.1.4 and QuickTime 7.1.5 and OS X 10.4.9 on a PPC. I don't know if any other combination, or Intel-based Mac, would have the same issue. I reported it to Unsanity. It could be an Apple bug that's triggered by the FruitMenu haxie, or a bug with FruitMenu... as a user, it's hard to tell... ;-)

The solution was to put FCP on the "excluded apps" list for FruitMenu. Everything works well after doing so.

Keywords: Unsanity, haxie, FCP 5.1.4, PPC, OS X 10.4.9, QuickTime 7.1.5, FruitMenu 3.6.4, render issue, stuck on RGB render, DV, DVCPro, DVCPro50
April 28, 2007 06:49PM
great sleuthing, Dave.

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics