I think I found how to eliminate artifacts in HDV

Posted by filmman 
Re: I think I found how to eliminate artifacts in HDV
May 06, 2007 11:05PM
By the way, something I have no experience with is XDCAM at 35mb/s HD. I'd love to hear some comments about it in light of the discussion on this thread. I'm eying that new small Sony XDCAM-EX about to come out and feeling a rise..

- Christopher S. Johnson
May 06, 2007 11:12PM
the thing that scares me about the xdcam is its still shooting mpeg (at least as far as im told) im just not one fully convinced about shooting in a delivery codec?
May 07, 2007 12:01PM
I make this point in every HDV thread, but this, specifically about the XDCam:

I love my F350 (XDCam HD). It was the best option out there when I bought it last year. There are a few new pieces this year (and next, by the looks of NAB) that I wish I would have had to look at, but I didn't.

It's a ton better than my Z1U. Then why did I buy the Z1U? Well, I have 35,000 reasons why I didn't buy a second XDCamHD, if you get my drift.

The F350 pales in comparison to the F900. If you have the $90,000, I highly recommend the F900. It's much better than the $4,500 Z1U.
May 07, 2007 12:42PM
This is a cute reply, and I get your point, but I wonder how the new sub-$10,000 XDCAM -EX will do? And even more importantly, Mike, tell us about the behavior of the 35mb XDCAM codec under movement stress compared to HDV (dark, red, detailed, motion, for example). Is it a little bit better or a lot better?

On paper, this is beginning to sound like the sweet spot in this cost/performance ratio.

Thanks,

-Christopher S. Johnson
May 07, 2007 12:47PM
christoper, i really dont get why the sub 10K xd cam would be the "sweetspot" what is it about the "very sub 10k" hvx that doesnt fulfill that role.

ive shot a ton of high motion, low light, red flooded footage and it holds up great. and the p2 workflow IMO is the coolest thing ive come across in a while... pays for itself quickly in the time savings of not having to log and capture traditionally.
May 07, 2007 12:58PM
I dont have an answer for you that comes from experience because I have only used DVCPRO-HD as an editing codec. I really need to try the HVX with the hard drive before I make a real informed opinion. But I do kn know the cards just arent enough space in the field for docs.

My real intention for my comment was this: It does look like the XDCAM-EX will have significantly sharper chips than the Panasonic (which looks like a PAL chip on steroids). In the past that was the debate for the under-$10,000 set: more resolution or less compression. So this Sony cam, if it lives up to the specs on paper, seems to fall into a sweet spot between these two factors. thats what i meant.

- Christopher
May 07, 2007 01:41PM
oh yeah, i keep forgetting about you doc types and long runs... good point!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics