slow motion video effect?

Posted by chinaski 
May 20, 2007 08:46PM
Hey everyone, I'm new here, and had a question. Does anyone know the music video effect that looks as though the artist is singing in slow-motion, but they're keeping time with the standard speed of the song? I believe to create this effect you run the song at double the speed when the artist sings to it, then you slow down the video to 50% when editing. Does that sound right? If anyone has done this effect before, could you please give me a run down of the steps to acheive this. thank you so much.
May 20, 2007 09:09PM
-- moved topic --
Re: slow motion video effect?
May 20, 2007 11:02PM
Yeah, that's how it's done. You have to have the audio playback in production to be at a precise speed. 200% if you want to slow the video to 50%.

Andy
May 21, 2007 01:26AM
How do you set the audio playback to 200% before you bring it into FCP?
May 21, 2007 02:48AM
Soundtrack Pro, in the effects window use the time stretch
Final Cut Pro, click on the audio file and hit apple J for the speed command

it is also possible in both Audacity, Peak however I don't remember how at this point

David at Movies Rock in Toronto
[www.tofcpug.com]
May 21, 2007 03:23AM
So, if I have an audio file on two tracks in FCP, I select the two tracks, hit APPLE J and change the audio speed to 200%, then select the video clip and change its speed to 50%, right?
May 21, 2007 04:07AM
You make the track 200% for the artist to mime to. You don't use that track in the final, you just run their normal music track.

The band/singer has to play the song fast during the shoot in order for you to be able to sync them in slow-mo to their track.

May 21, 2007 10:43AM
yeah, youre going to have to output the sped up song to a cd/mp2/whatever and play that though the PA for the band to mime to, then once youve shot, bring that into fcp and slow it down to 50%.

additionally, you're going to get FAR better quality results using something like twixtor as opposed to just dropping the speed in fcp...
May 22, 2007 11:17PM
Other way round works, too. (halve the playback speed of the song during shooting, shoot at 60fps, and call it all normal speed footage when importing into FCP)

Motion of the bg objects will be a lot smoother during playback.

randy
May 24, 2007 10:08AM
Digital Juice TV has started there third season of tech shows (season 2 for Production Notes) and the first one released is all about this effect
[www.digitaljuice.com]

David at Movies Rock in Toronto
[www.tofcpug.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics