new intel mac book pros most compatible set up to match a dual intel tower...

Posted by Marla Mitchnick 
Hi Y'all,

Just wondering what is the best way to set up the new 15" that isn't quite out yet, so as to be maximally compatible with my editing system at work, in case of needing to edit off-site...

I know you can't put a Kona into a lap-top, but are there some software solutions to this that actually work?

The main codec I use will work fine I believe, just the DVCPro HD codec, using it for material shot in 1080p/24 (8-bit vdeo).

But there may be some moment when we need to work uncompressed, just gathering some information for the near-future investment.

Here's the basic info of my system at work (also have a Kona3 card, currently temporarily un-installed, back next week):
Machine Name: Mac Pro
Machine Model: MacPro1,1
Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP11.005C.B04
SMC Version: 1.7f8
Serial Number: G87041BBUPZ

M A R L A

Current System:

FCP 7.0.3 on an MBP 17" from early 2011, running OS 10.8.3

Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB
Software OS X 10.8.3 (12D78)
Re: new intel mac book pros most compatible set up to match a dual intel tower...
May 21, 2007 03:23PM
I know you can't put a Kona into a lap-top, but are there some software solutions to this that actually work?

Just install the drivers onto the Laptop...it will install the codecs so that you can see the footage.

But there may be some moment when we need to work uncompressed, just gathering some information for the near-future investment.

Uncompressed HD? Not gonna work on a laptop...not yet. And it isn't the processor that is the issue, but the data rate needed to view it. You need a RAID capable of at lease 200MB/s...that's all well and good, there are plenty of options available. BUT...the MacBook Pros are only capable of 100MB/s via the Express port...less in the FW800 realm. 100MB/s is the best you can get currently and that isn't good enough for uncompressed HD. SD yes, HD..sorry.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Thanks Shane,

Do you mean the Kona/AJA drivers??? Which specifically?

And what's the Express Port: ESata?

Thanks for your clarity,

M A R L A

Current System:

FCP 7.0.3 on an MBP 17" from early 2011, running OS 10.8.3

Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB
Software OS X 10.8.3 (12D78)
Re: new intel mac book pros most compatible set up to match a dual intel tower...
May 21, 2007 04:28PM
If you have a Mac Pro with a Kona 3, for example, and you want the same codecs on your MacBook Pro, then install the drivers for the Kona 3 on the laptop. This will install the codecs.

The Express port is the Port on the left side of the MacBook Pro. The one that you can put an eSATA card into. The card isn't the bottleneck, it is the slot. The older PCMCIA slots on the Powerbook G4s had a 65MB/s limit...so 100MB/s is an improvement, but not enough for Uncompressed HD.

Nate treating you well?

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics