Creation date work-around?

Posted by Marla Mitchnick 
Creation date work-around?
May 22, 2007 10:49AM
Hi there Gang-

Is there any way at all that anyone has figured out to see Creation Dates of Sequences? Is there a way, for instance, outside of final cut, to get a sequence file inside a folder so that the info is visible?

Modification date ain't doing me any good!

Thanks,

M A R L A

Current System:

FCP 7.0.3 on an MBP 17" from early 2011, running OS 10.8.3

Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB
Software OS X 10.8.3 (12D78)
Re: Creation date work-around?
May 22, 2007 11:52AM
Good question, it seems so obvious. Tried to figure it out once too. The answer we came up with was that FCP doesn't save sequence creation date information in the project file although it should be easy enough for it to do so.

Meantime, we always include a date in sequence names. Seems to be the only solution for the moment.

Good feature request tho' for the next tweak.
May 22, 2007 11:56AM
> Meantime, we always include a date in sequence names. Seems to be the only solution for
> the moment.

There's another one. If you, like me, hate putting dates into sequence names (because then you'd have to either change it every day or make a new sequence every day -- I find it wasteful). Just use the Log Note or any of the other customizeable "Comment" columns and put the date there.

www.derekmok.com
May 22, 2007 12:24PM
Marla said
Is there a way, for instance, outside of final cut, to get a sequence file inside a folder so that the info is visible?

As pointed out in another post on this subject, creating a sequence doesn't create a file, it only makes a bunch of pointers and relationships in the project file, so there is nothing in a sequence to attach a "creation date" to without FCP making a deliberate effort to do so. And so far it doesn't.

Also be very careful when thinking about adding dates to anything at a logging level - all of the fields in the logging entry dialog (description, scene, take, etc.) are concatenated together to construct the file name that the clip is saved as. If you put a date in any of these, like "5/21/07" you have just introduced the dreaded slashies (/) to the file name that will mess you up royally. I got in the habit of formatting dates as "5-21-07" so as to avoid this. The Log Notes or Comments fields won't hurt you this way, but it's easy to forget where you are in a rush job.

Scott
Re: Creation date work-around? and other feature requests
May 22, 2007 12:38PM
we do dates here in a way that makes them sort well:

May 7th, 2006 would be 060507

Maybe if we ALL made this creation date a features request, they'd finally pay attention!

My other pet peeve, from AVID-land, is to be able to go to icon view in a bin, but have the icons sort vertically as a list, with the icon thumbnail still visible, instead of in some random messy pictorial view... Also it'd be nice to choose your visible thumbnail frame if you could also...

M A R L A

Current System:

May 22, 2007 12:45PM
> My other pet peeve, from AVID-land, is to be able to go to icon view in a bin, but have the
> icons sort vertically as a list, with the icon thumbnail still visible

I hated that view in Avid when I had to use it (the pictures took up too much room and I couldn't see all the takes), but I know lots of people like this view. To do this, just CONTROL-click on the column headings in the Browser and turn on Thumbnail.

> Also it'd be nice to choose your visible thumbnail frame if you could also...

You can. Open up the clip into the Viewer, choose the frame you want, then CONTROL-P (Set Poster Frame). If you have to use the menu, it's under Mark - Set Poster Frame.

www.derekmok.com
May 22, 2007 01:00PM
Even more direct for setting poster frame on the thumbnail in list view: scrub it directly in the browser to the frame you want, then hold down Ctrl and let go of the mouse button first. Voila! I don't know if this resets the "master" poster frame for the clip or only for the list view of it.

Scott
May 22, 2007 11:53PM
Marla
have the icons sort vertically as a list, with the icon thumbnail still visible, instead of in some random messy pictorial view...

as Derek said, there's the Thumbnails column in the browser.
but "random messy pictorial view"?
right click on the background of the bin, and choose "Arrange by.."

what'll drive you crazy is you can arrange by name or... duration.
duration?!
who thought of that? (and who hasn't fixed it?)
whatever happened to Arrange by Media Start?

anyway..
as you know, Shift H will toggle the bin view (list/ micro-icon/tiny icon/visible icon)
so i map "Arrange by Name" to Shift J (next to H, and an little bit like "ArranJe"winking smiley

nick
May 23, 2007 01:51PM
SO COOL!

Thank you so much!

That's what I get for never taking time to stop editing and read a bloody manual. Here I have been kvetching for ever so long about a non-existant problem: Oy Vey!

M A R L A

Current System:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics