Upgrade Issue. Very boring. Do not read.

Posted by harry323 
Re: Upgrade Issue. Very boring. Do not read.
May 24, 2007 12:27PM
Just to confuse the situation more than it is. When I installed FCS2 last night I was not asked for a previous serial#. The install went off without a glitch. I seem to remember something about the upgrade path to FCS1 and weather I had all the apps (Motion, DVDSP, STP) already instead of just going from FCP to FCS. I went from a seperately purchased FCP 4, Motion and DVDSP, to FCS1. Don't know if that makes a difference, and I also did the crossgrade. Hope we get to the bottom of this because this doesn't seem fair to previous FCS1 owners.
Re: Wait a minute
May 24, 2007 12:33PM
OK, simple answer here seems to be if you did the Crossgrade or bought a full retail version of FCS1 you buy the $499 version. All others buy the $699 version. Lurking around the online forums seems to confirm this.

Michael Horton
-------------------
May 24, 2007 01:12PM
So if I went:

Final Cut Pro 2 - paid $1000

Final Cut Studio 1 Upgrade - paid $700

Then I need the $700 one now for FCS 2. Right?

Wow. That probably means $700 per version upgrade from now on. Because in this system, the 2008 or 2009 version will be another $700 on this path.

-Christopher
Re: Wait a minute NEWSFLASH NEWSFLASH
May 24, 2007 01:34PM
Harry here.

Well, here's one for the record books ...

Just for a giggle, this morning I stuck in the first install disk and, after typing in the first box the number on the package and being presented with another box asking for my previous FCS number, I just typed in RANDOM number and letters, but in the same format as the normal serial numbers.

It burped loudly

and

now is apparently installing. Yes - I'm on disk 2.

Called Apple and told them. The guy couldn't stop laughing and told me that the whole thing was a mess.

So there.

Am I dreaming?

Best

H
May 24, 2007 02:33PM
I upgraded from FCS 1 to FCS 2 for $499. Crossgrade $49 fit in there somewhere last December.

I did NOT delete any of the previous FCP/FCS files.

New serial number worked on the first try. (Actually second try - the first time I typed a 'g' instead of a 'q' - haste makes waste).
May 24, 2007 04:10PM
[I did NOT delete any of the previous FCP/FCS files. ]

Good point, Nick.

- Loren
Today's FCP 4 / 5 keytip:
Fast scan your clips or timeline with Control-F12 !
Go slower with lower F keys.
Go reverse with F6 down to F2

The FCP KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
May 24, 2007 04:19PM
Read the install notes folks. VERY important.

Installing your Final Cut Studio Software

Michael Horton
-------------------
May 24, 2007 04:22PM
This does not explain why I appear to be in successful mid-install after I typed random numbers (per my post above) into the License number field.

Huh?

What's with that?

H
May 24, 2007 04:53PM
I'm in Canada. After 5 phone bounces, I got to an FCP technician named Elijah in the US. I gave him all my particulars and his reponse, after putting me on hold for 5-minutes, was that since I upgraded from a retail version of 4.5, through the crossgrade 5.1, then indeed I'm eligible for the $499 upgrade that should arrive on the 29th.

He took the last three digits of my 5.1 crossgrade and confirmed I was on the right upgrade path.

FWIW, I expect that Apple just wants to see a retail version of the FCP gene in your pedigree.

Jamie
May 24, 2007 07:02PM
Apple is going will be eating crow on this one. It may take a few weeks but it all starts here. The influential blogs like TUAW and Engadget need to be informed.

Here is a link to a webpage that contains a screenshot of the Apple "buy page" with the copy that incriminates Apple should they chose to be hard assed about it. I suggest you download this image. I have also made a PDF of the screen capture as well. The download link is at the top of the page as well as here.

The screenshot is from Apple Canada. I will make the US one in a few minutes.

Who's going to contact TUAW and get them to write an unflattering article?

-Andrew Stone
May 24, 2007 07:06PM
Jamie Kelley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> FWIW, I expect that Apple just wants to see a
> retail version of the FCP gene in your pedigree.

Jamie,

If that is true then that sounds fair but it sure sounds like it isn't. From what I recall about the crossgrade offer owning FCP 4.5 was the lowest entry point into the crossgrade offer in terms of eligibility. Can someone substantiate the crossgrade offer with the particulars?

-Andrew
May 24, 2007 07:20PM
The confusion seems to be more of what version upgrade do I need. Its real simple. If you bought a full retail version of FCS1 or participated in the crossgrade you buy the $499 version. If you have been upgrading since FCP 1, 2, 3, 4 etc and did not participate in the crossgrade then its the $699.00 version. It does not matter that you bought all the FCS apps separately. You needed to have bought FCS1 full retail or participated in the crossgrade to get the $499 upgrade. End of story. There is no issue here as far as I can tell other than a lot of folks being confused and a lot of them seem to be working at Apple Stores. And it also seems from what I can tell that the $499 upgrade does not look for your ORIGINAL FCP serial number. It asks for your FCS1 serial number.

Michael Horton
-------------------
May 24, 2007 07:21PM
Here is the Crossgrade PDF that I sent in for my disks. It states the qualifying versions on the bottom. Have at it smiling smiley

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

May 24, 2007 07:36PM
I hope you are correct Mike...

I have updated the page with screenshots and PDFs of the "buy pages" for FCS 2. If you need them to bolster your case with Apple you can find them [ here ].
May 24, 2007 07:47PM
My situation fits Mike's explanation...
May 24, 2007 09:37PM
I think it is simple.
$499 to go from FCS1 to FCS2
$699 to go from any version of FCP (not Studio)

I don't see anywhere that Harry had FCS1, Did I miss something?

I think that Apple should take his upgrade back just like they did to upgrade from 5.0 to 5.1 and credit him the difference. In any case he can always get someone to buy his $499 copy.

God Bless,

Douglas Villalba
director/cinematographer/editor
Miami, Florida

[www.DouglasVillalba.info]
[www.youtube.com]
[vimeo.com]
May 24, 2007 10:27PM
Douglas, I think Michael Horton was saying more than that.

I have FCS 1. I'm looking at the box on my shelf right now. But I bought it as a $700 upgrade. And I only went to 5.0.4 with it.

According to the clarification from Michael above, I would have to spend $700 again.

- Christopher S. Johnson
May 25, 2007 12:59AM
But the upgrades from the Apple G5 to the Intel Mac is partly a waste of money, since not all the programs will run at their maximum level.

That's why I didn't go for the Crossgrade. Yes, the program was faster, but there were problems.

If I'm going to buy Final Cut Studio 2, then I should have an Intel Mac, and right now there is no clear view of what's coming out and how they compare to other systems.

Moreover, the G5 with FCP Studio 5.04 took me up to HDV, but not full HD. For that I had to spend untold thousands of dollars on peripherals to get the HD out. Even HDV can only be output back to my HDV Sony Z1 camera. (The decks cost thousands of dollars again.)

So if I'm going to need HD, then buying an Intel Mac makes sense and FCS2 makes sense since it might get me to full HD. However, if I have to spend thousands of dollars again on peripherals, what do I need the FCS2 for? Just because it runs faster and some of the applications have been improved? Those are not my priorities (I'm not working for clients and don't need to impress anyone).

What I want to know is: can I edit HD and output to BluRay or HD DVD or not. If I can't, I'm not interested.

I'm holding on to my monopoly money :-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics