PROBLEMS between FCP HD 4.5 and Mac OS X 10.4.9
May 28, 2007 06:17PM
Hello All!

I don't know much about all of this yet. Thanks to the expert Koz who has also been helping me out. I thought though I should send a message out to warn people as I had no clue about this before. I hope this is okay and I am no expert like most of you guys are, but I just wanted to warn people that possibly there are problems between FCP HD4.5 and MacOS X 10.4.9. So watch out before you upgrade to 10.4.9. Mac released this on it:
[docs.info.apple.com]

I am having stuttering,stopping of image while the sound continues so everything is out of sync. It is a nightmare.

They by mistake installed mac os x 10.4 on my computer at the apple store while on a trip far from home, so I don't have the installation disk to downgrade to 10.4.8. I only have the original 10.3 disc that came with my powerbook. Is it possible to downgrade to 10.3?? How does one do this safely??

Thanks to anyone for help.

Cheers,
Robert

I am on a powerbook g4 (1.25Ghz, 1,25GB RAM, using an external la cie d2 firewire 800 drive.)
Re: PROBLEMS between FCP HD 4.5 and Mac OS X 10.4.9
May 28, 2007 08:36PM
Just putting this FAQ link in here for future readers Problems with FCP 4.5 (and older) and OS 10.4.9

May 28, 2007 11:39PM
Hi Robert

I was having terrible problems capturing, a conflict between FCP 4.5 and OSX 10.4.9 after an update, as I reported on this forum, but never solved the problem until I saw the following post on May 21st by Phil Thomas. It worked like a charm. No need to archive and reinstall. No need to backtrack, no need to search for an older copy of Quicktime, replace my decks, camera, computer, or wife. And a week later is still working. I suggest you give it a try.

"This worked for me.

1. From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
2. From the View menu, choose Spotlight.
3. Click the Privacy tab to reveal the areas that Spotlight will not index.
4. In the Finder, open your "Final Cut Pro Documents" folder.
5. Drag the Capture Scratch folder into Spotlight's list.
6. Shut down computer, wait and startup. "

Phil Thomas
May 28, 2007 11:39PM
Hi Robert

I was having terrible problems capturing, a conflict between FCP 4.5 and OSX 10.4.9 after an update, as I reported on this forum, but never solved the problem until I saw the following post on May 21st by Phil Thomas. It worked like a charm. No need to archive and reinstall. No need to backtrack, no need to search for an older copy of Quicktime, replace my decks, camera, computer, or wife. And a week later is still working. I suggest you give it a try.

1. From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
2. From the View menu, choose Spotlight.
3. Click the Privacy tab to reveal the areas that Spotlight will not index.
4. In the Finder, open your "Final Cut Pro Documents" folder.
5. Drag the Capture Scratch folder into Spotlight's list.
6. Shut down computer, wait and startup. "

Phil Thomas
May 29, 2007 12:03AM
So we're suffering from Spotlight needing to index every little thing in real time? It sounds to me that it took over from where Norton left off.

"Here, let me protect you so much that your show fails."

There's no way to turn Spotlight off, is there?

Koz
May 29, 2007 06:20AM
Hi Phil, Jude, and Koz,

you guys are GREAT!! Thank you for all of your support in this stressful time!!

So Phil I went through your procedure. Just to be safe, in addition to hiding from spotlight the capture scratch folder, I also hid the Audio Render files, Autosave vault, Render Files, Thumbnail Cache Files and the Waveform Cache files. (I.e. all the folders that FCP creates when you set your scratch disks). These files are all on my external FW800 lacie drive. The project file I have kept on my Powerbook G4 internal drive and did not hide it.

So the stuff I captured before is still messed up and its problems did not go away. BUT the good news is I recaptured 2 of the bad clips and they play PERFECTLY!!!!!!!!! No sync problems, no stuttering!!

Q: Does this mean I have to recapture all of the hours I already captured??? Or is there also some nifty solution to this???

I will let you know how progress goes as I digitize some more new stuff.

Thanks again guys!!
Cheers,
Robert
May 29, 2007 07:45AM
No way to turn off spotlight?

I believe the answer is here
[osxdaily.com]

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
May 29, 2007 01:52PM
Hi Andrew,

thank you so much for your post and your help. Please excuse my ignorance but I looked at the link you sent and the first command is this and dont understand it:

1. Launch Terminal and type the following: sudo nano /etc/hostconfig

So what does "launching terminal" mean here?? Not sure where to type these commands.

Thank you!
Best regards,
Robert
May 29, 2007 02:55PM
Terminal is an application in your Utilities folder. Open it as you would any application and you will be presented with a text based interface, welcome to the terminal and the "command line interface" or CLI.
See as how you asked that I think you should be VERY careful with anything you do in the terminal. As you will be able to tell from the old world computer feel of the terminal, it's not a place to fool around. For example, the "sudo" command prefix gives you, after you type your password, the ability to move and delete files that the normal OS X GUI doesn't let you. So you can do a lot of damage if you are not very careful. Having said that the instructions on that page are very straightforward and none of the command are close or similar to other more dangerous ones.
Be careful how you type them in and you should be fine.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
May 29, 2007 07:09PM
"sudo" is UNIX for "Super User Do". You can fool around in Terminal and not do too much damage because you are not a Super User. The machine will try to protect itself. "sudo" in front of a command means to execute the instruction as if you were a god on that machine. That means you can cause all sorts of damage.

This Super User thing is why, when you upgrade a program or do a very serious change, the Mac always asks you to put your password in. It's also one reason it's so hard for viruses to take over. They have to get your permission first.

Anyway, enough gloom and doom. If you type the commands exactly as they are presented, you should be good to go. UNIX (OS-X) pays attention to upper and lower case, so everything has to match exactly.

Koz
May 30, 2007 04:26AM
Thanks Koz and Andrew,

Simply hiding the media file folders with the workaround method is working so far for everything new that I have digitized. So thanks for all the info. I will not touch the Terminal program if I dont need to.

Best,
Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics