URGENT: VU meter and tone

Posted by Outdated Mac user 
URGENT: VU meter and tone
May 28, 2007 11:04PM
I have set the tone in the bars and tone at the head of my timeline to -12db, yet the Final Cut audio meter is showing the tone at -15. Why is this? I am urgently trying to finish the audio on a project and can't even begin to do this until I solve this problem.
Re: URGENT: VU meter and tone
May 28, 2007 11:18PM
Did you mess with the Audio Mixer tool?

www.derekmok.com
May 28, 2007 11:27PM
No, I didn't touch it. What is happening is that the audio meter is reading 3 db lower than the numeric volume level in the tone. For example, if I move the volume level slider to -12, the audio meter shows the tone as -15. If I move the slider down to -9 db, the audio meter shows the tone as being -12db. This is consistent for any volume I choose.
May 28, 2007 11:33PM
I use FCP 3. I don't have an audio mixer in the tools section: I looked for it this morning because I wanted to boost audio levels. I ended up playing with the expander/gate filter.
May 28, 2007 11:33PM
<<<I have set the tone in the bars and tone at the head of my timeline to -12db>>>

You set it there? What level was it when it came from the effects tab?

Koz
May 28, 2007 11:50PM
I am assuming it was -15 b/c that was the numeric value of the tone above the slider. I am trying to understand the logic behind the 3 db differential between the meter and tone, could something be improperly calibrated?
May 28, 2007 11:51PM
the audio metering in the fcp suite is NOT accurate. never has been...
May 28, 2007 11:57PM
Wait, wait, wait.

What happens when you open effects, video generators and just pull bars and tone over to the timeline--at the end of the show--and play them?

Koz
May 29, 2007 12:01AM
OK, I don't know why this happened, but I trashed the bars and tone I had put in and inserted another one on a separate timeline, it read -12, then I pasted that into my timeline and it was whacked at -27. So I dragged a new NTSC directly from the video generator into the timeline and it came in at -12. So I will just use the bars/tone I have now and keep my fingers crossed.
May 29, 2007 12:02AM
It comes in at -12, the problem was when I moved to another timeline.
May 29, 2007 12:06AM
OK, so the meters are working. You did something to the timeline that affected the levels.

What happens if you open a fresh project, put the bars and tone on first, and then edit on to that the whole show?

Koz
May 29, 2007 12:42AM
Yeah, good idea. I am going to implement to avoid surprises. When I moved the bars./tone is when I had trouble.

Got one quick question: what do you usually do to two mono audio tracks of two different people, do you center both as mono or do you stereo pair the two tracks and then center that? I know you usually stereo pair the music and effects, but is it a good idea to stereo pair the dialogue and center it, or should I keep both tracks as mono and then center them?
May 29, 2007 12:46AM
I like keeping them mono and centering. Unless you're balancing to wide screen compositions where it seems incongruous, or an offscreen voice needs to be located left or right, I'd center all dalog.

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Fast scan your clips or timeline with Control-F12 !
Go slower with lower F keys.
Go reverse with F6 down to F2

The FCP KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
May 29, 2007 12:55AM
OK, but for example, I have one person speaking on audio track 1 and another person speaking on audio track two. I have two options, I can treat each as a mono and center each track individually, or after adjusting levels, I can stereo pair the two tracks and then center that stereo pair. Which way is better?
May 29, 2007 01:21AM
I revised my post above to answer more clearly: mono and centered.

- Loren
Today's FCP 4 / 5 keytip:
Fast scan your clips or timeline with Control-F12 !
Go slower with lower F keys.
Go reverse with F6 down to F2

The FCP KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
May 29, 2007 01:32AM
Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics