Log & Capture Issues

Posted by FCP5Newbie 
Log & Capture Issues
May 31, 2007 09:02PM
I am having the most difficult time trying to log and capture footage. I am using Final Cut Pro 5HD. My capture device is an old Panasonic Mini DV cam. I tried to use my GL2, same problems. Getting an error message that it encountered an error with trying to import, or basically dropped frames. Computer is:
Machine Name: Power Mac G5
Machine Model: PowerMac11,2
CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (1.1)
Number Of CPUs: 2
CPU Speed: 2.3 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
Memory: 1.5 GB

I am trying to capture to a Seagate 500GB external. I also tried on my Maxtor 300GB, and my Western Digital 320GB. Tried multiple tapes too. Same issue.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!
Re: Log & Capture Issues
May 31, 2007 09:45PM
[I am using Final Cut Pro 5HD. My capture device is an old Panasonic Mini DV cam. I tried to use my GL2, same problems. ]

Of course you're connected via FireWire cable? And the camera is NOT set to "Camera" mode but VTR mode?

[I am trying to capture to a Seagate 500GB external. I also tried on my Maxtor 300GB, and my Western Digital 320GB. Tried multiple tapes too. Same issue. ]

Of course you've set your Scratch Disks in System Preferences ((Shift-Q) so the footage knows where to go? Otherwise it may default to your system drive, and you *never* set your system drive as a Scratch Disk, los of potential misbehavior that way.

Can't think of anything else until we get more info.

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Set Video Only In and Out with Control I or O !

The FCP KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
May 31, 2007 09:47PM
Loren,

Yes, the Scratch Disk is set to whatever External drive I am capturing to. I changed that when I tried to see if it was the actual Firewire connection to the drive that was causing the issue. I am also trying to see if I need to clear off space on my internal drive in order for the log and capture to work, I don't see how that can affect it, but I have like 149GB left on my internal drive and ample amount of space left on all of my external firewire drives.

Thx
May 31, 2007 11:26PM
Which OSX, which QuickTime and which Final Cut are critical.

There is no 5HD. It's going to be 5 . something . something.

Koz
May 31, 2007 11:29PM
Final Cut 5.1.4

Quicktime 7.1.6

OSX 10.4.9
June 01, 2007 12:50AM
Have you tried different device control settings? If so, which ones? Have you cleaned the tape heads of the camera? One thing that people don't watch out for is some tape brands use dry lubricant and some use wet. You must exclusively use one or the other, otherwise your heads get all gunked up.
June 01, 2007 01:36AM
Does the video play right through the damaged part in the camcorder viewfinders without the Mac? Can you listen with headphones and make sure the audio doesn't drop out?

Are the tapes Extended Play?

Do you have any Virus Protection running?

Can you change the FireWire cable? (It's never this)

Can you find or make a tape that has nothing at all to do with your project and play that? Say, something your mom shot at the beach last week?

<<<basically dropped frames. >>>

Exactly dropped frames, or some other message? Do you get the Spinning Beach Ball Of Death?

Koz
June 01, 2007 05:52AM
Kos,

Definitely the spinning beach ball! Umm, let's see. I did import another tape no problem. The tape will not play back using my Panasonic AG-DVC7 (capture device), but when I play it back in the cam that I shot it with (Canon GL2), it plays back no problem. The tape brand that I use is Panasonic DVM60. This is ALL I shoot with.

When I use my GL2 as my capture device, I get the dropped frames message. When I use the DVC7 as the capture device it says that it encountered errors trying to import and it may be a problem with the tape.

No virus protection running.
June 01, 2007 09:25AM
Any chance the tape was recorded in LP mode?

If that's it, the only device that will likely play it back correctly is the one that recorded it.

deb
June 01, 2007 11:15AM
OK, so we'll go with an Extended Play tape because it will only play back on the shooting camera--and even that not particularly well.

We'll also go with a damaged tape and not machine because the machine will capture other tapes.

You have damaged shoot masters and the only way you're going to be able to capture them is with "Uncontrolled Device" selected in the capture settings and then press play on the camcorder and record in Final Cut. If that fails, then your only other possibility is to copy the work FireWire to FireWire to another machine--this time in Standard Play mode and then capture that.

The downside of Uncontrolled Device is it doesn't carry the tape timecode and you can never capture the same way twice.

Enjoy Friday.

Koz
June 01, 2007 03:28PM
I will try to duplicate the tape, and see if that fixes it. Thanks all for your suggestions!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics