New Hardware for IO

Posted by Andrew Kines 
New Hardware for IO
June 08, 2007 02:03PM
Check it out...
[v3hd.com]

From MOTU who have along history of Mac Audio/Midi hardware.
Choice is good.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
Re: New Hardware for IO
June 08, 2007 03:02PM
Yeah, saw that. Pretty sweet and loaded. Wrote and asked them if there might be support for the ProRes codec down the line. Plus...how much does it cost?

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 08, 2007 03:15PM
And when can we see it?

I like that it also can act as a 32 channel audio interface for Performer and Logic etc.
That kind of flexibility might make it a good hybrid device for mid range edit suites for whom editing uncompressed HD isn't a total necessity. Although the confusion that will arise from the ability to make submixes in their utility is something that even people in the audio world get messed up with and that will make it interesting if it sells well.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
June 08, 2007 03:34PM
wow - what DOESNT that thing do?
June 08, 2007 03:39PM
ProRes 422...doesn't do that. That is AJA only at this point...hardware via the I/O HD.

Also doesn't mix drinks very well. THAT will be a major strike against it.

:^)

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
June 08, 2007 03:43PM
Thats what I asked in my letter to them. I assume they will include support for the ProRes codec in the future if they want to go head to head with AJA. Guess it depends on Apple's cooperation.

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 08, 2007 03:49PM
I think they'll be HARD pressed to get the license to ProRes. AJA and APPLE are like Ernie and Bert...VERY close. I doubt Apple will license that codec to a direct competitor like that. Decklink doesn't get Apple's attention, and succeeds IN SPITE of it.

But I like the look of this box. Good luck to them.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
June 08, 2007 03:55PM
Just to be clear Blackmagic's products support ProRes 422 and did day the day the I/O HD was announced.

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 08, 2007 03:56PM
Yup...looks like a killer unit. Also waiting to hear back from them.

Now, if this works out, I'll get a fully loaded Dual Core Mac Book Pro & one of these puppies...may be able to finally sever ties to the Kona card / tower & go right to the client & lay stuff off on their machines (for a nominal fee, of course winking smiley). MOTU will have to also compete with AJA's Customer Service / Tech Support which IMHO is the best in the business.

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

June 08, 2007 04:02PM
Michael Horton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just to be clear Blackmagic's products support
> ProRes 422 and did day the day the I/O HD was
> announced.

Yes they do, as does AJA Kona line. And we all know that you need a MacPro Intel in order to capture with that codec...without the I/O HD.

I am talking about the HARDWARE encoder in the I/O HD. I doubt that APPLE will license it for use with any other peice of equip.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
June 08, 2007 08:32PM
I will say that MOTU splits opinions right down the middle in the audio world. They have had some black times in the past and trouble with drivers for their hardware. It's been a while since I have heard anything really bad though.
Their situation is that they are making hardware and supporting their own audio package, Digital Performer, so if you use their software and hardware your luck may be better. DP, depending on who you ask, comes in the top 5 in the major software audio/sequencing packages after Protools, first and Logic, Nuendo, Cubase, Sonar and DP tied for 2-6.
There are people who don't use DP and still swear by MOTU gear so it's worth investigating either way. Opinions are strong on both sides. Unlike the BM vs AJA issue which isn't really an issue as they both seem to work quite well and it seems to come down to a matter of taste and secondary features.

I hope/wish that RME would make a box like that as their stuff is solid, drivers are great and they're veritably teutonic in their design. That'll be a cold day in hell before those guys muddy their hands with video though.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
June 08, 2007 10:04PM
$$$?
June 09, 2007 12:06PM
MOTU
? converted on the fly and ready for fast, CPU-efficient editing in pristine native DVCPro HD quality, without the costly overhead required for uncompressed HD

I think the Motu guys will get some good friends at Pana since it does "DV100" only and that would be the only device in the world.

Andreas
June 11, 2007 09:00AM
FWIW, I heard from Jim Cooper @ MOTU this morning...not much to tell - very vague:

Hi Joey,

Thanks for your interest. The V3HD does not support ProRes. But we are looking into this. We'll have further news regarding pricing and availability in the near future. I will contact you with this information when it is announced.

Very best, --J

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics