Downconverting ingested P2 media?

Posted by makkystyle 
Downconverting ingested P2 media?
June 11, 2007 07:27PM
Hey everyone,

I was hoping someone here might have a good tip for this... We shot a feature 1080p/23.98 and I captured 720p/23.98 to cut. We used an HVX for a couple of action sequences and I ingested the footage at full res 1080. In order to cut it in with my other footage (and monitor properly) in a 720 timeline, I need to downconvert all of those HVX files.

Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks,

Todd
Re: Downconverting ingested P2 media?
June 11, 2007 07:33PM
Compressor and the Advanced COnversion options...Media Manager maybe.

Why did you downconvert to cut?

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
June 12, 2007 10:48AM
I'm curious how you forced p2 data to ingest from 1080 to 720. Oh wait you shot something else at 1080 and downrezzed that, ok.

Put the ingested p2 media in a timeline, that is your specs and export it, using the current settings. Or export the file using the drop down box settings in the quicktime export.
June 12, 2007 01:41PM
Thanks Shane. To answer your question, because 1080/24 DVCPRO is around 12.5MB/s where 720/24 DVCPRO is only 5.6MB/s. I have a three terabyte RAID and roughly 50 hours of footage. If I wanted to have any space left over to online uncompressed 720 was the way to go. Also since I want to online uncompressed and I obviously can't cut at uncompressed, editing at native resolution really doesn't save me anything except a slightly larger picture.

I looked into media manager and saw the "recompress" option which should work perfectly. I wonder though, will it keep all the logging info? I only recently upgraded to 5.1 and with past versions have been very skeptical of the tool due to past stories of MM nightmares. Will give it a try.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics