FCP 6 and opening a FCP 5.04 project

Posted by stephen Auerbach 
FCP 6 and opening a FCP 5.04 project
June 14, 2007 08:22PM
I'm looking to install FCP 6 and I'm wondering if it's 'complete ease of mind and smooth sailing' when I need to open a project that was completed in 5.04?

Or should I anticipate difficulties?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

SA
Re: FCP 6 and opening a FCP 5.04 project
June 14, 2007 08:39PM
I personally have never had any difficulties opening an old project in a new version of FCP...never.

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

June 14, 2007 08:41PM
Thanks for that confidence builder.

SA
June 14, 2007 11:24PM
No problems opening old sequences in new version, however, we ARE experiencing two issues:

reconnecting media occasionally will ONLY allow you to reconnect ONE clip at a time. The "reconnect all files in same path" option only works sporadically.

Media manager now has some issues with "shedding" media in multiclip sequences. We've taken a sequence from 5.12, media managed it just fine. Same sequence boosted up to 6.0 wants to "hang on" to the entire clip for many of the shots.

These two issues are a major pain for anyone trying to use the classic "off-line to on-line" workflow.

Mark
June 15, 2007 08:38PM
Ugh, that sucks, Mark. Lucky for me I don't use that workflow - you must be in small hell at your place right now.

Stephen - I've been opening 5.1.2 projects with no trouble on 6.0 here. All seems OK.

June 15, 2007 08:53PM
Weird since FCP 6 has little changed. Why on earth would this have happened? Hope someone else can duplicate this so we can issue a bug alert. Actually I hope someone cant duplicate this.

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 19, 2007 10:37AM
Confirming problem with "reconnect all files in same path"! Only reconnecting ONE file at a time...arggghhhh! FCP 6.0 OS10.4.9

Obviously we need help in a hurry on this one. It will take a loooong time to reconnect one by one.
FCP Reconnect Media bug
June 19, 2007 10:54AM
If you delete the ".mov" extension from clip names in the scratch disk, "Reconnect Media" suddenly works properly. Problem is, of course, you have to manually change all the clip file names. ("Hide Extension" in Get Info does not work.)

Perhaps this bug is to do with the new "feature" documented in What's New in 6.0 -

"Reconnecting Clips
When you reconnect clips to media files, Final Cut Pro no longer uses file extensions
(such as .mov) when matching clip names to filenames. For example, if you have a clip
named Driving, the reconnect search mechanism will treat media files named Driving
and Driving.mov as matches."
Re: FCP Reconnect Media bug
June 19, 2007 09:10PM
Ooh good catch, rowlkr. Maybe in that case, a batch rename would solve a lot of problems - Nick has a utility that he uses for this .. is it quickkeys? Or something else .. umm.. a batch rename program, anyway.

Mark - does this help on your systems?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics