FCP 6 problems with re-capture

FCP 6 problems with re-capture
June 14, 2007 08:49PM
hey guys i dont know if anyone else has had this problem but I am getting offline sequences to be re-captured in a hi-rez codec for compositing but for what ever reason FCP is asking for the original whole clip which is about 40 gigs when the clips in the sequences are a max of 4 or 5 seconds if anyone had any ideas that would be awesome cause im out of them haha thank you
Re: FCP 6 problems with re-capture
June 14, 2007 08:59PM
Did you run Media Manager? Were the clips offline before you ran Media Manager?
June 14, 2007 11:20PM
Benjamin,

We too are experiencing MAJOR problems with redigitizing media managed sequences. Specifically, we're noticing that Multiclips are NOT "shedding" unused media. This is causing us EXTREME pain, as we totally rely on the classic "off-line" to "on-line" workflow.

Tom,

What do you mean by "are the clips off-line" before running MM?

Mark
June 15, 2007 02:41AM
If you are going from offline and recapturing at full res, some people assume they don't need the offline files any more as they're going to re-capture. They assume all they need is the project files. So they dump the offline files for the drive space, and with the offline files "offline" i.e. not available to the project (I hate this use of the term), they run MM. In the past this has been an issue, because the files are not on the hard drive, MM seems to assume everything needs to be captured even after you've ran create offline to make a new hires capture.

I'm assuming you're collapsing your multicam material and making independent before you run MM. Not sure if this will work for you, but after you do that you may try drag the sequence into a new project file. That usually serves to break the link to old material. May not work though with multicam material, and the new FCP6 ability to recognize master clips across projects may have hosed that workaround.
June 15, 2007 06:41AM
Hi Tom

As I recall, Media Manger not working properly with "Media Offline" clips was a major issue when FCP 5 was first introduced. It had not been a problem with the earlier FCP 4, and it was eventually fixed with a subequent FCP5.0.x point release update.

Has this same bug now come back again? Or is this a new issue related specifically to multiclips?

cheers
Andy
June 15, 2007 08:02AM
That's my question. It's been known to happen that bugs recur when the code gets changed. There were changes made in the handling of master clips, which is a key component of the workings of MM. My concern is this done bad things to MM.
June 15, 2007 01:09PM
Andy and Tom,

I can confidently say that this is a "New Wrinkle" in FCP 6.

We've been successfully Media Managing half hour and one hour shows with multi clip and without multiclip for the past few years. The only change in our set up is the upgrade to "6".

We spent the good part of the day on Wednesday experimenting with just about every combination possible to try to get it to work. Strangely, checking things like "include unused angles" seemed to help a bit, but still didn't quite get it all done. I had two separate teams of assistant editors attacking the issue and neither of them could get it to work.

I'm curious to hear who else out there is experiencing this issue (Media manager NOT shedding unused media).

Mark
June 15, 2007 02:26PM
Unchecking Include on-active angles shouldn't make a difference on the material I'm testing, but it does. It also only has an affect when the sequence is moved into a new project. In the original project unchecking include non-active angles makes no difference, moving to another project does.

It's very broken compared to 5.1. The new version is producing about twice as much video as the same project in the the previous version.

This is depressing as it looked like MM was starting to come right after all these years, and now there's this significant backward step.
June 18, 2007 08:58AM
Stupid question but it has to be asked...do your sources for the clips your're having trouble with had reel #s? If not they don't you can't trim unused media.

po
June 18, 2007 09:21AM
The clips have reel numbers. A simple test. Simple two clip multiclip, same files in both FCP5.1.4 and FCP6. Collapsed and made independent. MM in FCP6 produces media almost twice as long as MM in FCP5.14.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics