YouTube Format?

Posted by Kozikowski 
YouTube Format?
June 19, 2007 03:04PM
Somebody posted a detailed listing of the technology that YouTube uses for its presentations.

My searching fingers are starting to bleed and I can't find it.

Koz
Re: YouTube Format?
June 19, 2007 03:10PM
Don't know if this was what you were thinking about.

[www.kenstone.net]

www.derekmok.com
June 19, 2007 03:28PM
<<[www.kenstone.net];

No, but that will certainly cover it. Ken Stone to the rescue.

Thanks,

Koz
June 19, 2007 04:25PM
There is this right here at lafcpug which I find useful

[www.lafcpug.org]

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 19, 2007 05:08PM
And that's exacty the one I was looking for. No wonder it didn't show up in a strict forum search.

Silly me.

Thanks,

Koz
June 19, 2007 05:13PM
Remember lafcpug has a tutorial page as well as a search function for the entrie site.

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 19, 2007 05:41PM
Yes, sir.

Koz
June 20, 2007 12:04AM
Last week I read that YouTube is switching to H264 --

All of there previous videos are going to be switched to H264 also -
they must keep a copy of organial file sent to them before converting
to Flash--

3 months or so ago H264 did not work on YouTube--
since then YouTube has become Much more H264 friendly -

YT plays H264 perty good now--

In a post about 2 months ago I wrote about H264 problems on YT -

Google Video has played h264 well for a long time--Jay--
June 20, 2007 12:15AM
<<<Last week I read that YouTube is switching to H264 -- >>>

I had to read that twice. You're talking about accepting H.264 generated work for posting. I'm talking about presenting videos to the public at large.

They don't dare change their public presentation. Their business model would go straight into the toilet.

Koz
June 20, 2007 12:30AM
No - it's true, Apple and youtube have teamed up for this. Here's a quote from recent blogs on the subject.

"When asked what ?designed for Apple TV? meant, Moody said that YouTube will soon be encoding videos in the H.264 streaming-efficient compression format preferred by Apple TV, and that all new videos submitted to YouTube as of the mid-June launch of the AppleTV update will be playable by the device. From then until fall, YouTube will be encoding its entire back-catalog in H.264 format, adding videos in chunks until everything is accessible to Apple TV users. Direct links and the on-screen keyboard-based search engine mentioned in our previous update will bring you to current and old videos alike.""

June 20, 2007 03:46AM
[www.macrumors.com]

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
June 20, 2007 10:56AM
But still, not one word about what's going to happen to the other 99.5% of the YouTube users who will not be able to play the work any more.

I have made H.264 videos that will not play successfully on a perfectly normal PC with QuickTime 7. And I wasn't trying to be silly.

This idea was designed by one of the competing video hosting web sites, right?

Koz
June 20, 2007 08:25PM
Well, I'm thinking there must have been an Additional Problem, because to the best of my knowledge, Quicktime 7 plays h.264s.

June 21, 2007 01:44AM
I have not seen anywhere a statement that YouTube is abandoning Flash Video. H.264 is being added to the mix. Check the language.
June 21, 2007 10:33AM
<<<Quicktime 7 plays h.264s.>>>

It tried. It launched and then opened up the first frame and froze. I would not hold this machine up as the paragon of stability, but it does play small, uincomplicated videos. I need to try it again and see what happened.

When you surf over to YouTube, how is it going to know? I understand that Macs will blab without telling you, but PCs will not always do that.

Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics