Buying a new Mac Pro...question

Posted by mattsilfen 
Buying a new Mac Pro...question
June 27, 2007 02:17PM
Maybe the answer to this is obvious but I need to hear it from someone else.....

So I'm on the market for a brand new Mac Pro. I plan to edit mostly in DV/HDV to start off and perhaps later move up to HD/P2 Card related stuff.

The thing is, I was planning to get 8gb of RAM but now I'm thinking maybe I should save the money for now, get 4gb of RAM and upgrade later if I need to....

Can anyone out there tell me if the extra grand is really worth it?

Do I really need the extra 4 gb of ram?

Thanks!

-Matt
Re: Buying a new Mac Pro...question
June 27, 2007 02:20PM
4GB of RAM is all you will ever need for using FCP. Other applications like more..and if you run more than one app at a time more RAM is better. But I have 3.5GB of RAM and that is plenty for what I do.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
June 27, 2007 02:33PM
FCP wont utilize more than 2.5GBs of Ram nor will see more than 4GB. Leopard might change that. Dunno.

[docs.info.apple.com]

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 27, 2007 03:22PM
Matt,

If all you are doing is editing...no, you don't need more that 4 Gig RAM.

From a grafix guys' perspective, 4 Gigs is not nearly enough. If you plan on utilizing After Effects CS3 Pro / Photoshop CS3 Extended / Illustrator CS3 / Cinema 4D (or another 3D program) / NucleoPro2 (highly recommend for AE & Cinema 4D background rendering & acceleration) / etc.... it would behoove you to get AT LEAST 8 Gigs of RAM minimum. Actually Gridiron (NucleoPro) recommends 2 GB of RAM per core (that's 16 Gigs on an OctoCore).

Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

June 27, 2007 06:11PM
Ahhh...knew it....

That extra grand will probably be put to better use on some filters and a sound library.

Thanks guys

-Matt
June 28, 2007 11:58PM
Or an upgraded Graphics Card, Matt. Apple keeps on dropping the hint, "we're writing things for the Graphics Card". We hear it over and over again now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics