MPEG-2 Frame size disparities...

Posted by Scott Erickson 
MPEG-2 Frame size disparities...
June 29, 2007 02:36PM
OK, this is a weird one...

Some people gave us screen capture training footage on DVD, mpeg-2 meant for TV DVD, not DVD-rom, how we use our screen capture training. Anyway, regardless of it looking like crap, when we use MPEG Streamclip to get QT's of the content for our use, we are seeing a larger frame than what the DVD is showing on Apple DVD player or the viewer on Streamclip itself. This isnt an underscan issue since its all computer based but some how we are seeing more in our QT than we can in the the m2v.

Does anyone know why this is? The screen recorder is clearly visible in the lower task bar which we can now see so we have to crop and scale it and lose even more resolution. OK, just curious if enyone knows some techinical reason behind this...
Re: MPEG-2 Frame size disparities...
June 29, 2007 02:43PM
Well, what settings did you use for the export in MPEG Streamclip?

www.derekmok.com
June 29, 2007 03:08PM
640 x 480, we want to display it online only so square pixels all around. It should be the same image size as 720x480 with D1 pixels yeah?
June 29, 2007 03:50PM
Apple Movie player can be set for a number of different screen sizes so you need to pay attention to the "View" dropdown settings. You can cause QuickTime Player to tell you stuff about the clip by pressing Apple-i while the clip is running. All those numbers may be valuable.

I have an off-air television receiver USB device that claims up and down that its display is "Original Size" but it can't be because the show is full-on HiDef and the picture is smaller than a 1280x1024 monitor.

You don't even need fingers and toes to count some of these errors.

Koz
June 29, 2007 04:13PM
Its more than just movie player, when i take the QT into FCP, you still see the larger frame size. According to the numbers, we're doing everything right, as i understand it.

Anyhow, we have a basic work around to crop the image from within the Streamclip export settings but still output at 640x480. I think the lesson learned is not work with these guys any more...

Just curious what was going on with the diff image sizes thats all...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics