Reconnect Issue -- only quote marks show up instead of file names?

Posted by John K 
Reconnect Issue -- only quote marks show up instead of file names?
July 09, 2007 07:28PM
I was just trying to move a ton of image files over to my scratch drive so FCP wouldn't be accessing them from my startup drive (having image issues, see other post). Anyway I did it the WRONG way, which was to trash the original files before making them 'Offline' then re-linking to the newly copied files. So FCP gives me the offline error and I go to re-connect and I see this (image below). ALL of the offline files in the window are referenced by quotation marks --and only the first one is even visible. I know it looks like theres nothing referenced here but this is a list of 200+ offline files!

I can re-connect one at-a-time if I click on an image in the browser (all of which retained their proper names), hitting 'Re-Connect' and locating the exact file. Also, any files unaffected by my deletion can be offlined/re-connected normally without issue. Have any of you seen this before -- or more importantly, could you fix it?

(already trashed prefs, repaired permissions, restarted)

[www.weirdsmobile.net]

July 09, 2007 08:58PM
If you're using FCP Studio 2 (6.0) check the bug report on this site.

Mark
Re: Reconnect Issue -- only quote marks show up instead of file names?
July 09, 2007 09:02PM
Nope, still 5.1.4 here.

July 09, 2007 10:42PM
Have you actually tried reconnecting? Ysually, when the first item in the list shows up in your project folder, you select it and the rest in the same path come aboard automatically.

- Loren
Today's FCP 6 keytip:
Set Video Only In and Out with Control I or O !

The FCP KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
July 09, 2007 11:02PM
Yes and unfortunately it doesn't work. FCP thinks these offline clips are all named ", so it doesn't recognize the actual file names.

July 10, 2007 02:23AM
hey John, I'm happy (or not) to confirm that I've had this happen to me too (more than once) when reconnecting media that it suddenly thinks has no name ... never had time, at the time, to troubleshoot the exact circumstances that trigger it though. and there was no magic fix that I recall either. Just have to man up and reconnect one by one. Andy
July 10, 2007 02:32AM
Do you have a copy of the project file that was backed up before you had ditched the clips in the original location? Try opening that, or an Autosave Vault copy, and see if anything's different.

Any illegal characters anywhere in the path of the original clip location or the new one?

What happens if you try to copy the offline clips to a new project file and then reconnect?

www.derekmok.com
July 10, 2007 05:23AM
also you should set the clip up in exactly the same file path as they were on the other drive,
AND CALL THE DRIVE THE SAME NAME.

this way, FCP should simply connect to the files without even thinking they are offline.

nick
July 30, 2007 04:14PM
I've also experienced this problem when I've relocated still images.
July 30, 2007 04:46PM
this happens to me when i transfer files onto my xraid.
What i found is that the file's datafork has gone missing, and so FCP no-longer knows what kind of file it is. hence, it cannot reconnect it.

There is a free program called Filetype that will recreate a file's data fork. This usually solves the problem for me, though if there are a lot of different kinds of files it can be arduous.

Best of luck!

greg
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics