Ken Burn

Posted by Andrea 
Ken Burn
July 11, 2007 12:25PM
I know I can create a "ken burn" like effect for still images with motion or other plug-ins but I was wondering if there was some simple way of doing so in FCP?
Re: Ken Burn
July 11, 2007 12:32PM
Sure. Keyframing. This tutorial will get you started


Michael Horton
Re: Ken BurnS
July 11, 2007 02:52PM
Ken BURNS. With an 'S'.


SCQT! Self-contained QuickTime ? pass it on!
Re: Ken Burn
July 11, 2007 07:27PM
on the whole keyframing works great, and is pretty easy

but before you start tearing your hair out,
it;s biggest weakness, IMO, is when you're trying to do a zoom & pan into a smooth STOP, using the "ease in-ease out" controls
zooming and panning use different scales, so the move goes all snakey.

it is possible to iron it out, (with a fair bit of work)
but in the past i've just avoided the issue, by always dissolving,
never actually stopping the move
unless it's from a straight zoom in.

Re: Ken Burn
July 11, 2007 07:54PM
Good tip Nick. Same here although a few years ago I just kept banging at it and tamed the Ease In Ease Out monster. Took a few dozen times but finnally I just got it and stuck with it and kept going. From then on though I just use Lyric's Pan Zoom plug in. And even then I never stop the move.


Just seems to look better.

Michael Horton
Re: Ken Burn
July 11, 2007 10:46PM
Apple's Motion does a fantastic job of easing to a stop.
Re: Ken Burn
July 12, 2007 01:31AM
"I just kept banging at it and tamed the Ease In Ease Out monster"

good to hear.
did you use the Quickview window?
i remember Kevin Monohan writing that he used it to iron out the kinks.
makes sense

"Motion does a fantastic job of easing to a stop."

good to know.
do you know of any on-line tutorials about this?
(i suppose there might be something succinct in the manual?)
i really prefer working in a timeline, where i can shuffle voice and music around.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login



Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics