FCP 6.0.1 No Audio During Edit to Tape

Posted by Evan 
FCP 6.0.1 No Audio During Edit to Tape
July 18, 2007 05:33PM
I am cutting in a DV NTSC project created in FCP 6 and when I try to either print to video or edit to tape (my preference) I am not getting any audio output. In my "Edit to Tape" tool, all of my audio tracks are greyed out.

My settings and device controls across the board are DV firewire NTSC 48Khz.
I am able to play audio and video through my DSR 25.
Any ideas?
Re: FCP 6.0.1 No Audio During Edit to Tape
July 18, 2007 06:26PM
There are certainly setup panels that can prevent you from laying off sound.

I would start with a completely fresh, blank project, pull a minute of Bars and Tone over from the Effects tab and try to lay that off. That divorces the machine from your project. If that works, then reload your project and try to figure out what happened.

You might also trash your Final Cut preferences--although you will need to set everything up again because that returns everything to factory specs.

Koz
July 18, 2007 10:13PM
You are *not* using device-controlled Edit to Tape for a FireWire output. Just ain't part of the spec to do frame-accuate insert editing from DV/Firewire. Don't even bother. You're using * Print to Video * which is FCP's glorified "Crash Edit" - with neat extras like a countdown, levels check, a field for your title slate, black leader, etc. It's well thought out. It does a fair amount of pre-roll check and invisible mixdown before flashing you to start rolling your deck.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:
Apply a default AUDIO transition with Command-Option-T !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
July 18, 2007 10:15PM
Check Audio/Video Settings - A/V Devices, see if "Different Output for Edit to Tape/Print to Video" is checked. Also check Sequence Settings - Audio Outputs.

www.derekmok.com
July 18, 2007 10:42PM
Loren - you can use edit to tape over firewire - we've had this discussion before. If people are using the Edit to tape tool, then you can't tell them they are using Print to Video.

Yes, it crashes out (leave a 50 second black tail)
No - its not always frame accurate (although it always has been for me)
Yes - it does control your deck, cueing and starting the record without you needing to roll record.

Edit to tape does not tell you to roll record. Print to Video tells you to roll record.

July 20, 2007 01:47AM
[Loren - you can use edit to tape over firewire - we've had this discussion before. If people are using the Edit to tape tool, then you can't tell them they are using Print to Video. ]

Yeah, I've heard that. The way I learned it, it is not recommended. The proper use of Edit to Tape is with RS422- device controlled decks like Beta SP, Digibeta, et al.

That said, I use RS422 control for my DVCAM work-- but I never attempt Edit to Tape. It's just not in the DV spec to work that way. I admire all the adventurers who attempt frame-accurate inserts, of course. One thing I heard was that the insert is usually reliable, and the out points are totally wild. That's little different than an assembly edit in result.

I don't recommend outputting DV using ETT over FireWire. Other stuff may go over a Firewire cable which behaves.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:
Apply a default AUDIO transition with Command-Option-T !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
July 20, 2007 03:12AM
>>Yeah, I've heard that. The way I learned it, it is not recommended. The proper use of Edit to Tape is with RS422- device controlled decks like Beta SP, Digibeta, et al. [SNIP]
I don't recommend outputting DV using ETT over FireWire<<

Well, I've output probably in excess of 400 projects (more than 300 of them broadcast programs) using ETT over firewire on lots of different decks. They have all worked perfectly. As far as I'm concerned, it's a misnomer that this is not possible.

July 20, 2007 08:43AM
I'll have to disagree with Jude on that one. I've been using the DV/FireWire combination for over seven years and I've never gotten consistent frame-accurate insert edits. Even when the In point is accurate, sooner or later the timecode on tape drifts away from what it is on the timeline. Hasn't happened on RS-422 whenever I've used it. And my output method has tended to be foolproof (export to self-contained movie file first, fresh new project, no render files/effects/multiple tracks)

www.derekmok.com
July 20, 2007 09:36AM
So, maybe it's an NTSC thing? I swear, never a problem. (tsk - Im so going to have a problem now I've said that..)

July 20, 2007 10:05PM
[So, maybe it's an NTSC thing? I swear, never a problem. (tsk - Im so going to have a problem now I've said that..)]

Not necessarily! You might be on to something there, Jude. No NTSC broadcast facility I have worked (PBS, Discovery, Home & Garden, Annenberg, etc) has ever used DV/Firewire for insert editing, not even on fancy 1800 decks. But I've never worked PAL.

I was particularly attuned to Evan's description because he uses a DVCAM deck close to my own; I have seat time in the subject.

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Select items and Shift-D to Make Offline!

The FCP KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at discount at the LAFCPUG Store!
July 21, 2007 01:01AM
OK, bringing us back on topic, I've checked all of my settings and everything is set to stereo outputs/monitor stereo, etc. For some reason, people think I'm insert editing in the "Edit to Tape" tool. I'm not, I am assemble editing. Regardless of how I'm going out, I am not able to send out or choose to send out audio tracks through this tool. Apple tech support has recreated this problem. It is an issue. I've noticed in the forum that someone else seems to be having a different audio out issue using an RS422 controlled deck as well.
July 21, 2007 12:52PM
<<<Apple tech support has recreated this problem.>>>

That's awkward, isn't it?

So if you use the other option--not Edit To Tape but the other one--it starts working?

Koz
July 21, 2007 01:51PM
I'd say. I'm sure there will be a fix soon enough.
July 21, 2007 09:22PM
I wouldn't wait too long for this fix, since I am running FCP 6.0.1 and can output via edit to tape with the audio intact. Don't think it's a bug - there's a problem with your system or set-up.

July 22, 2007 01:12PM
<<<there's a problem with your system or set-up>>>

Yes, but this is the "walking into a room with no doors or windows" problem. If Apple's machine failed, too......

Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics