Avid Layout for Final Cut

Avid Layout for Final Cut
July 26, 2007 12:39AM
Dose anyone have a saved layout for Avid keyboard for Final Cut? I have a client that is so comfortable with his load avid keyboard and wants to use the same layout

Sincerely,

Jeffrey Stansfield
President
Video Engineer
P.O. Box 17331
Encino, CA 91416
818-624-4242 Cell
818-342-3725 Office Only in evenings
818-342-3725 Fax
[www.advantagevideosystems.com]
Jeff@advantagevideosystems.com
Re: Avid Layout for Final Cut
July 26, 2007 08:42AM
Jeff,

There have been many threads about this topic, "Making my FCP keyboard look like an Avid".
While the opinions are split, I'd go on record as saying this is a BAD IDEA. FCP is NOT Avid, and trying to make it work like one is going to cause more frustration and pain for the new user than just biting the bullet and learning the differances. I say this because if you change some of the FCP keys to Avid keys you're going to degrade the effectiveness of the FCP keyboard layout by losing some of the functions already there.

I know it's hard to "unlearn" the motor memory of years of Avid typing, but I'd suggest only mapping a very few "must have" keys rather than a wholesale overwrite of everything.
Others may differ. Just my opinion.

Mark
July 26, 2007 08:48AM
Agreed...it will only confuse. It doesn't take but a few minutes to map familiar commands in FCP.

Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 26, 2007 08:49AM
I'd agree with Mark all the way. The difference in keyboard shortcuts is only a secondary issue. The main one is that FCP doesn't work like Avid. If you try going into Overwrite Mode, or rely on activating tracks to determine which clips are affected by your operations, or like to click on the timeline itself to move the playhead, it's no-go on FCP because those concepts don't even exist.

FCP is much more mouse-oriented than Avid. I suspect changing your keyboard layout will not help very much. It's much better to build up a good solid base in the default layout so that you will be able to operate any FCP station without having to fidget around moving everything. When I had to learn Avid XPress, I forced myself to not rely on FCP shortcuts and to memorize a new set. And when I had to use it again four years later, much of it came back to me without me having to customize an "FCP layout" for the Avid.

www.derekmok.com
July 26, 2007 08:58AM
In the days of FCP 2.0 I was that guy. 10 years on an AVID and thrown in to cutting a series on FCP. You couldn't change the keyboard layout on FCP in that version so whenever I went back to AVID I would try to map the AVID keyboard to be more like the FCP keyboard.
Factor in the horrible Windows keyboards with the %*&%ing start up key and an unchangeable F1 and many versions of AVID MC and Express and for a while there my keyboard editing went to hell.

Eventually I reverted back to my 10 year AVID defaults, (which you get used to mapping as AVID's standard response to unusual errors is to make a new user setting) and the FCP keyboard layouts I carry around on a USB key (Basic and Multicam)

It's worth it to get used to both. Really worth it.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
July 26, 2007 10:51AM
Look I agree the client needs to wake up and sell the dead Avid in the corner. He should move on but what the client wants I need to provide. I thought I could save time if someone had the layout done yes I am lazy

Sincerely,

Jeffrey Stansfield
President
Video Engineer
P.O. Box 17331
Encino, CA 91416
818-624-4242 Cell
818-342-3725 Office Only in evenings
818-342-3725 Fax
[www.advantagevideosystems.com]
Jeff@advantagevideosystems.com
July 26, 2007 09:33PM
What ever happened to "Educating the client"?

Mark
July 26, 2007 09:37PM
Pretty shocking that such an avid "Avid" fan that edits on FCP doesn't carry his own keyboard settings for both apps on a USB flash drive.

Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 27, 2007 04:43AM
i thought *someone* out there would have one..
oh, well.

somewhere at Yahoo's FCP-L there is a set.
in the "Files" section, from memory

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics