KEN BURNS EFFECT: to the next level?

Posted by stewgoddard 
KEN BURNS EFFECT: to the next level?
July 26, 2007 04:17PM
I know of Ken Burns / Civil War Docos: But I've never watched any of them. I've read about his "Effect": which I beilieve takes a photograph and turns it into a pan/zoom shot.

Lately I've seen this type of edit (on Speed TVs show: The Motocross Files). But it' taken to another level, by the edit to include layering (I'm guessing).

EXAMPLE: By taking a photo of a guy riding a motorcycle and creating one layer (only the outlind of the guy/bike: everything else transparent), and the 2nd layer the background. By making the background move/pan, and zoom into the guy/bike - makes for a great effect...

I'm very new to FCP, is this effect something possible in FCP/PS? If so, anyone know of a post that gives the "How To:"?
Re: KEN BURNS EFFECT: to the next level?
July 26, 2007 04:36PM
You are talking about an effect that was first made famous in a documentary (sort of) called The Kid Stays in The Picture. There was a tutorial on this out there somewhere a few years back. It mostly relies on the 3D space of AfterEffects or anything similar. (Motion maybe, I don't know, Shake is likely)

Basically it requires doing what you said but the grunt work is filling in the background where the foreground used to be so that when the viewing angle changes the BG appears continuous and distinct from the FG and noticeably further away from the viewer.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
July 26, 2007 04:39PM
You talking about this?

[www.lafcpug.org]

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 26, 2007 04:42PM
You can do this in FCP. It doesn't require AE or 3D capabilities. It just requires skill in creating the multiple layer graphics files for the foreground, mid-ground and background objects.
July 26, 2007 05:02PM
Here's a great tutorial. Very effective...

[www.digitaljuice.com]
July 26, 2007 05:11PM
Good find. Like it. Digital Juice is putting up lots of great tutorials I have to admit.

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 26, 2007 05:34PM
yeah, thats exactly what I was talking about!

thx!
July 26, 2007 05:38PM
We need to find out whether it can be done with Photoshop Elements 4 and Motion 2. Anybody have any suggestions?
July 26, 2007 09:46PM
That is one great tutorial!

Mark
July 27, 2007 10:17AM
You may be able to use PSE4 to separate the images into layers (not sure), but not Motion 2 because there's no "Z-depth" & cameras / lights. I understand Motion 3 may be able to it.

Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 27, 2007 10:27AM
The 2D done in The Kid Stays in the Picture doesn't require z-space or cameras, but yes, it's in Motion 3.
July 27, 2007 10:48AM
I guess you can fudge DOF by blurring the background layer. You can also fake a focus rack by animating the blurs on the individual layers. You can also get away with not using a camera, but the layers still have to be animated in X (the example below was done without a camera, but the layers are laid out in AE in Z-depth).

CLICK FOR EXAMPLE

IMHO, it's easier to lay it all out in Z & animate the camera properties smiling smiley

Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 27, 2007 11:02AM
My recollection is that the movie pre-dates AE's z space capabilities. Perhaps I'm wrong about that. If the layers are separated they can move across each other and in pseudo z space by scaling. Obviously cameras add a significant enhancement.
July 27, 2007 10:07PM
Plus, you could really do this whole thing with PS and FCP, if you had the time, skill and patience. Scaling, distortion and keying the blurs could fake the z space to some extent if you really needed it, but you don't actually need to go into that to get the effect of the foreground picture slipping at a different rate to the background.

Just cut it out in PS, rebuild the background with the clone stamp, then bring them into FCP as a layered psd. Then keyframe the moves of each layer separately.

There's a tutorial I did on the Queer Eye effect that explains some of the methods you would need to achieve this particular look, and the rest should be fairly obvious.

The 'Queer Eye' effect

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics