filmmaking magazines?

Posted by celulloyd 
filmmaking magazines?
July 26, 2007 06:28PM
Does anyone know of any magazines that focus on the technical aspects of independent filmmaking? Not just FCP, but, for instance, lighting tips, 24p camera tips, 24p or HD camera buyers guides, etc. Kind of like how "Photoshop Creative" magazine is for Photoshop users, or "Dynamic Graphics" is for print design. I already get "MovieMaker" and FilmMaker" magazines, but they contain mostly articles about films and festivals, not filmmaking. Maybe something like "Videomaker" on steroids...something more for the pro than for the home video market.

I downloaded the Supermeet 2007 magazine from this site, but I'm looking for something different. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Lloyd Lathrop
about 2,500 miles from LA smiling smiley
Re: filmmaking magazines?
July 26, 2007 06:36PM
DV Magazine does a good job covering tech aspects of filmmaking

[www.dv.com]

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 26, 2007 07:10PM
OK, I just subscribed to DV Magazine. Anything else?
July 26, 2007 07:12PM
Magazines are for advertisers. If you want to learn how, go to the pros:

[rebelsguide.com]

Then...you GOOGLE:

[fficial&client=firefox-a" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" >www.google.com]

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 26, 2007 07:59PM
post, millimeter, and digital content producer are all pretty "nut-and-bolty"

they have ads sure, but all have a great deal of value content as well.
July 26, 2007 09:10PM
thanks for the suggestions so far. I was more interested in a magazine instead of (or in addition to) a book because it would be more current, but the book looks interesting, too.

Thanks again...

Lloyd
July 26, 2007 09:21PM
disclaimer: I have subs to all 3 of those plus DV so I am a bit of a Post Production / gear geek tongue sticking out smiley

In my opinion:

Digital Content Producer / Millimeter / Post (I have all 3 in front of me) are more about the hot boutiques / hot tools / hot artists / hot commercials / hot movies / hot VFX & so on. I love all 3. If that's what you want to know, get all 3...BUT...there's very little in the way of actual filmmaking instruction, though. Between all the ads (winking smiley), there are some cool interviews with filmmakers & they talk about their gear & the obstacles they ran into while making their projects, but not the nitty-gritty.

DV is pretty much the same except they have great gear reviews and they throw in a couple of actual tutorials on Audio / Video / After Effects (Chris & Trish Meyers used to write the AE article...which is the reason I got the sub in the first place. I don't see that anymore.).

I think you would get much more from the internet for sure. The mags are OK, but I end up collecting about 100 or more of all 4 of these mags & sell the lot in one shot on ebay every year or so (I am about to do that soon). You should check out something like this:

[www.filmmaking.net]

Get involved in some discussions. Go to local gear demos in your area (their free - some have food & drinks if your of age winking smiley). Ask a lot of questions. I learned about filmmaking early on by volunteering as a P.A. on any set I could get near & talked to the crew every spare minute I could muster.

Joey

PS...RE: the book - Stu Mashwitz is the MAN when it comes to guerilla filmmaking. Ever heard of The Orphanage? He founded it. He also created Magic Bullet . Here's his blog. It's worth a BIIIIIG lookee-lookee if you want to know about filmmaking from a pro smiling smiley

July 26, 2007 09:38PM
This is probably what you are looking for

Studentfilmmakers.com

Focus is entirely independent student films -- excellent resource, how to articles, interviews with independent filmmakers. Andy
July 26, 2007 09:41PM
Thanks for the input. I don't really need to learn the aspects of production or theory (I went to college for TV/radio/film and have produced several commercials and industrials using FCP Suite), but I'm more interested in getting comments/reviews of current gear, plug-ins, techniques, etc. so I can upgrade. I know I'm being vague, but I really couldn't care less about who is "hot, " I'm more interested in WHY they're hot, if you know what I mean. Plus, being in New York state but as far away from NY City as you can get and still be in the state (north of Buffalo), there aren't many "gear" stores in this area, let alone seminars or demos.

For example, I'm trying to decide on a 24p camera that I won't have to mortgage the house to buy, but I can't get any current info on any of them (Panasonic AG-DVX100B, Canon XL2, etc.). Everything I find on the 'net is from 3 or 4 years ago and about previous models (in some cases). I'd like to know their current status and what the future holds for certain equipment...things like that. And 24p vs. HD or 24pHD...

I hope that helps. I'll probably buy a couple books (even though our local--35 miles away--Barnes and Noble didn't have anything worth buying), but I'd like to stay as current as possible.

Thank you again for your pointers.
July 26, 2007 09:45PM
Actually, even though I'm way older than a "Student Filmmaker," that magazine looks pretty informative. It's pretty inexpensive...I might subscribe.

Is it on a higher level than "Videomaker" or don't you know?

Thanks Andy!
July 26, 2007 09:48PM
may I suggest, "American Cinematographer". The publication of the ACE.

Wonderful indepth articles about major Hollywood features. Occasional good equipment reviews as well.

Mark
July 27, 2007 06:07AM
Two more...

[www.highdef.com] has some interesting articles [ I've been in it tongue sticking out smiley ]

[www.creativereview.co.uk] - Not so much film making but often covers films, ads, TV series and the companies and processes and new tech behind them.

Ben

PS: As Mark mentioned - Definately get American Cinematographer...

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
July 27, 2007 08:36AM

being in New York state but as far away from NY City as you can get and still be in the state (north of Buffalo), there aren't many "gear" stores in this area, let alone seminars or demos.

That's the power of the internet. I research the forums for reviews on gear from people that are using them, surf for the best prices & I get everything delivered to me usually from California (I never go into a local Apple store or use resellers - yuck).

For example, I'm trying to decide on a 24p camera that I won't have to mortgage the house to buy, but I can't get any current info on any of them (Panasonic AG-DVX100B, Canon XL2, etc.). Everything I find on the 'net is from 3 or 4 years ago and about previous models (in some cases).

Everything you find is 3 or 4 years old? You're looking in the wrong places, Lloyd. You can find that info & more right here on the forum. There's a pretty large consensus among the LAFCPUG members regarding a camera - the Panasonic HVX200 (around $5,000 plus P2 cards & extra batteries):

[www.digitalfilmmaker.net]

Joey

July 27, 2007 11:01AM
dvxuser.com is another great forum - TONS of very specific, how to and problem solving stuff for a wide range of cameras, workflows and various other production topics
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics