Problems activating Compressor in FCP HD 4.5

Posted by Robert 
Problems activating Compressor in FCP HD 4.5
July 29, 2007 10:33AM
Hello Everyone,

PROBLEM:
This is a bit silly of a question but I just cannot get the "compressor" option in the menu (File>Export>Using Compressor) to go black, ie to become activated.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I cannot even open Compressor from the Applications Menu. Is this maybe an OS 10.4.9 bug?? I already had problems with FCP HD 4.5 and OS 10.4.9 which some wonderful members here helped me solve.

I want to create an MPEG2 of my film in order to then import this into DVD Studio Pro 3 to then make a DVD.

Thanks to anyone with advice.

Kind regards,
Robert

I am using FCP HD 4.5, on a Powerbook G4 (15inch), Mac OS X 10..4.9, with an external LaCie d2 320 GB FW drive.

robert
robertohp2001@yahoo.com
Re: Problems activating Compressor in FCP HD 4.5
July 29, 2007 11:12AM
What happens when you activate Compressor from the Applications folder in your system drive? Can you drag it to the Dock and try it there?

www.derekmok.com
July 29, 2007 12:22PM
Hi Derek,

thank you for your response!!

I cannot activate Compressor from the Applications folder - I double click and then NOTHING happens.

I also dragged the Compressor Icon to the dock. Then when I double click the compressor icon in the dock, again nothing happens.

Thanks,
Robert
July 29, 2007 02:12PM
I'd first repair permissions -- do it by booting the computer using your OS disc. If that doesn't work, reinstall Compressor.

www.derekmok.com
July 29, 2007 02:40PM
First, in Final Cut 4.5, you have an MPEG2 export available without Compressor unless you upgraded past QuickTime 6. Then it vanishes.

I've never heard of a machine with Compressor and Final Cut 4.5 running at the same time. That's an odd duck.

Koz
July 29, 2007 03:04PM
Hi Koz,

thanks again for helping me out here!!

Sorry but I can not find the MPEG2 export function you are mentioning. All I can find is
File >Export >Using Quicktime conversion >MPEG4 and other formats but not mpeg2.
(I need the MPEG2 to make a DVD in DVD Studio Pro3).

How do I export the MPEG2 using FCP 4.5???

Thanks,
Robert

PS
It worked in the past the compressor with FCP 4.5 but anyway dont know why it does not work now. It is since I installed OS10.4.9 maybe.
July 29, 2007 03:10PM
> I've never heard of a machine with Compressor and Final Cut 4.5 running at the same time.
> That's an odd duck.

Not at all! That's what I ran for over three years. In fact, I've never seen a copy of FCP4.5 installed without Compressor. It was already part of the package starting with FCP4.2.

www.derekmok.com
July 29, 2007 04:08PM
<<<It was already part of the package starting with FCP4.2.>>>

Oh, I believe you. I've just never seen one.

What's your QuickTime version? MPEG2 Export vanished when you upgraded to QuickTime 7.0.0 or above. That's the reason one of our machines is still running QuickTime 6.

Koz
July 29, 2007 05:27PM
Hi Koz,

wow you are right. Unfortunately I do have Quicktime version 7.0.4! So now I have no way to export MPEG2 out of FCP HD4.5????! Is there any solution??

( I only saw a way to export MPEG4 but not MPEG2. I need MPEG2 to make a DVD, correct???)

Thank you!
Robert
July 30, 2007 11:53AM
Try a custom install of FCP and only choose Compressor and QMaster. I've been on FC Studio (FCP 5) for a couple of years so my memory of 4.5 is a little dim. But when my Compressor went awry (operator error) that's how I restored it.

Then Repair Permissions. It wouldn't hurt to download MacJanitor and run that to massage the Unix muscles.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics