Is no-one having lost render files with FCP 6?

Posted by harry323 
Is no-one having lost render files with FCP 6?
July 29, 2007 07:22PM
On the Cow there are loads of people complaining about lost render files with FCS2. Is this problem exclusive to Cow people or is there anyone out there like me on this board who is having problems with lost render files?

Best

Harry

Herewith Cow link:

[forums.creativecow.net]
Re: Is no-one having lost render files with FCP 6?
July 29, 2007 08:24PM
I've seen this on the Acid2FCP website from a couple of users. It's an inconsistent FCP 6 bug - it doesn't always happen and it doesn't happen to everyone. No idea why.

The trick is that it happens to duplicated sequences. Is that where you are seeing the problem?

Here's Apple's official take : Rendered items may require re-rendering after opening project

July 29, 2007 08:57PM
I have that issue, but only with the specific workflow of duplicating my sequences and the DUPLICATE losing connection to the renders.

But I am on the Cow so do I count?

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
July 30, 2007 07:32AM
I am not using duplicated sequences and still lose loads of render files all the time.

It's completely inconsistent, except that I can be certain to lose a lot if I close down FCP and reboot.

We live in hope, I suppose.

Octo arrives this week.

Harry
July 30, 2007 08:46AM
I haven't used FCP6 yet, but random loss of connection to render files has been a problem on every FCP5 station I've ever used, and much less so with FCP4.5 which I used for so many years.

www.derekmok.com
July 30, 2007 09:06AM
Yes, Derek, I agree. But this time it's really extreme to those who are unfortunate enough to be affected by it.

Apparently you are one of the fortunate ones.

Best

Harry.

PS. By the way, thanks for all your informative and useful posts over the years I have been on this board. Keep up the good work.
July 30, 2007 09:13AM
I get this problem on my original sequence... usually the duplicate requires no additional rendering but the original requires a complete re-render...
July 30, 2007 09:28AM
Interesting, Christoph - and that goes to show how scattershot this bug is.

My reading of the situation regarding dupe sequences is that the dupes lose renders for most people. I'm just going by the current very very long thread on the Sacred Cow about this issue.

Please, Apple guys. Have mercy!

Harry
July 30, 2007 09:53AM
Actually, I lied -- I did use FCP6 three or four times at one company. How do you duplicate your sequences? Do you Copy/Paste? Copy the contents and paste to a new sequence? When I used OPTION-D to duplicate sequences, as far as I remember, render files did stay connected to both the original and the dupe.

www.derekmok.com
July 30, 2007 10:11AM
I personally copy the timeline, create a new sequence and paste into it.

But at the moment I'm cutting a 90 min feature and am cutting in a strict linear manner, just adding stuff on to my main sequence, so not much duplicating going on here.

However, I STILL lose loads of render files if and when I am forced to close out of FCP6. And at other times, render files will simply disappear. For instance, I'll find that, while I've spent the day cutting a sequence at, say the 45 minute mark, when I come to review the film at the end of the day, a whole bunch of render files at the start of the film have gone AWOL.

Boo Hoo.

Harry
September 26, 2007 09:50PM
This is driving me nuts, too.

I'm using FCP 6.0.1. I'm losing renders in the original sequences and sometimes in the duplicate as well. It happened to me just now on a duplicate after I quit FCP and reopened.

All of those old renders must be taking up more and more space on my hard drive. Time to do some media management, I guess.

Garret

FCP 6.0.1, OS 10.4.10, 2x2.66 GHz Dual-Core Mac Pro, 5 GB RAM, 1.8 TB RAID 5 Firewire drive (half full), QT 7.1.6, Decklink HD Extreme capture card, HDLink
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics