Macbook Pro: Antiglare or glossy display?

Posted by Hauffen 
Macbook Pro: Antiglare or glossy display?
July 31, 2007 12:13AM
Are the the Macbooks with glossy displays good enough for video editing?
At the store they look great. But I wonder if they're more of a pain than a gain if you cannot choose where to sit when editing on the road.
Thanks!

Alberto
Re: Macbook Pro: Antiglare or glossy display?
July 31, 2007 01:04AM
You really need to go to an Apple Store and look at them. Its really a preference and glare does not really seem to be much of a problem for those that elected to get a glossy. I do admit the blacks on a glossy screen are really pretty. I chose a non glossy and am happy but I've seen enough folks happy with glossy screens.

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 31, 2007 08:39AM
...now they are CHARGING $5.00 to enter Apple stores. Is there a 2 drink minimum?

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 31, 2007 08:47AM
you;re kidding...
that's incredible.
incredibly greedy on apple's part, and leaves a sour taste, IMO.
they're becoming like BANKS!

haven't been to one here for a while, but i dont think they'd get away with it.

nick
July 31, 2007 09:10AM
Never fear, it's a joke. Came from a blog and spread really quickly. I still find it amazing and kind of cool that some guy in LA and me here in the middle of nowhere can be laughing at the same joke at the same time.

Here's one of my favourite responses from another blog

"$5 dollars gets you in. $2000 gets you out."

July 31, 2007 09:30AM

Never fear, it's a joke.

I don't think so. I heard it on CNN & some financial news network on TV. Seems like Apple wants to stop the "iPhone GAWKERS" and initiate serious customer buying. The $5.00 will go towards your purchase if you make one in the store:

[www.intomobile.com]

If it's a joke, it is still getting around very quickly.

July 31, 2007 09:33AM
Yeah bbspot .. here's their bio

Called "the world's greatest tech humour site" by The Register, BBspot creates entertainment for the geekier side of the world. BBspot produces a variety of features like fake news stories satirizing the tech and political worlds, the BBspot Mailbag which pokes fun at the Believers (people who believe our fake news) and much more. BBspot was started by Brian Briggs in April of 2000 as a hobby to bring some fun to the web, but grew to the point where Brian "quit his day job" and made the site his full-time occupation in January of 2003.

July 31, 2007 09:35AM
Note also that the intomobile site is now updated saying this was fake news.

July 31, 2007 09:39AM
eye rolling smiley (gulp...feeling a bit silly)

It's funny...when I first heard the news, I thought it was outrageous...then I thought it might just work to keep "dead wood" (Bartender's term for someone sitting at my bar & not drinking) out of the stores.

Joey

July 31, 2007 09:43AM
> I don't think so. I heard it on CNN & some financial news network on TV. Seems like Apple
> wants to stop the "iPhone GAWKERS" and initiate serious customer buying. The $5.00 will go
> towards your purchase if you make one in the store:

I don't know, Joe...even if this were true, it sounds like an illegal business practice. Making people pay $5.00 towards their purchase sounds like an unethical means to force you to buy something. Now, if they were going to give you back your money when you left the store anyway (which would be logistically impossible), it would be a different deal.

If they were really concerned about overpopulation in the stores -- and I can't imagine any retailer having that fear -- they might cap off the maximum number of people in a store and have a doorman, but the entrance-fee thing sounds too out of this world. The backlash would be beyond belief. Here in L.A., at The Grove and Santa Monica's Third Street Promenade, the Apple Stores are packed, but not to that much of an extent.

www.derekmok.com
July 31, 2007 09:54AM
I shouldn't have mentioned it. Jude has set me straight *sigh*...

Let's get this back on topic smiling smiley

I would like to know the difference myself as I have a 17" 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MBP sitting in a cart on the Apple site. Mike's right...gonna have to shoot over to the Millenia Mall Apple Store to see for myself.

Joey

July 31, 2007 01:34PM
grafixjoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>...gonna have to shoot over to the Millenia Mall Apple Store to see for myself.
>
> Joey

...Bring $5!! (tee hee!)

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

deb
July 31, 2007 02:22PM
Thanks, guys!

$5 won't be much of a problem. The problem is to get those $2,500 to come out with the MB Pro.
July 31, 2007 06:57PM
Apple would NEVER do that -- they should release states on the gawk to buy ratio - I'm certain it's pretty high - the apple store helped make the ipods and notebooks best sellers because people could play with and fall in love them on the spot.

Compare the apple store to the Sony showcase stores -- you can graze cattle in the sony store - lots of lookers no buyers -- because you can't play with the gear there. and even if you could - it's not often designed so you can figure it out with out some instruction or manuals. Their Sony Sales folks -- well they might as well put up cardboard cutouts for their usefulness.

Apple's doing just fine without a cover charge! smiling bouncing smiley
August 01, 2007 10:47AM
Back to topic, I have a Macbook with glossy screen and I love it. Blacks are blacker.

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
August 03, 2007 12:48PM
After arguing with the bouncer at the front door for 15 minutes for not having my name on the guest list, I finally got into my local Apple Store without paying $5.00 after I told him I am a close personal friend of Mike Horton & Shane Ross winking smiley

I compared both 17" screens side by side. Here's my take:

The blacks are blacker...yes...BUT, the reflections bouncing off the glossy screen are so clear & horrible, you might as well as forget working in well lit areas (unless you want to see yourself & everything behind you all day). Can't imagine being on the set outdoors with this. I worked on it for 5 minutes and I was constantly distracted by actually seeing every person walk into the store behind me. I was told by a "genius" that the glossy screen doesn't come with the HiRez MBP anyway (1920x1200).

The anti-glare MBP is gorgeous. I worked on that one for 45 minutes. I ran FCP6 with 1080 ProRes sequences open (6 of them) and Motion running 3 tracks of smoke & particle FX. This machine didn't miss a beat with only 2 GB RAM (holds 4 GB)

I don't like the glossy screen.
I do like the anti-glare screen.

Hope that helps.

Joey

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics