Multiclip problem

Posted by Jeff Nelson 
Multiclip problem
August 01, 2007 04:02PM
Using this for the first time, following the book as I go. My problem is, I'm ready to start editing, have my angles set up, can click between them. Now I'm playing and cutting from one camera to another, however it's not actually cutting on the timeline. It just changes the entire timeline to the angle I select, it doesn't put in a cut from one angle to another. There's something basic I'm missing here. Can someone enlighten me?
Re: Multiclip problem
August 01, 2007 04:33PM
According to the Final Cut Pro 5 Quick reference card::::

Switch Video angles 1-9 -- keypad 1- 9 or 0--10 so 05 would be 15
Previous angle --- clear Next angle -- =

Cut Video angles 1-9 == Apple key+ 1-9 0r Apple Key+ 0 =10, etc
Previous -- Apple key+clear Next -- Apple key+=

Switch Audio 1-9 == Option+1-9 or Option+0 = 10, etc
Previous -- Option+clear Next -- Option+=

Thats about it!
August 01, 2007 05:02PM
As much as i love keyboard shortcuts, i dont actually use them for multicams. I prefer the click method you mentioned.

however, your problem is you need to synch you timeline and you multicam clip. Go to your sequence and position the playhead at the start of the multicam. Double click the clip to load it into the viewer, then twirl down the center of the three buttons at the top of the viewer menu. Select synch to open. Then select the sequence again, hit space bar to play and click away, your cuts will be made...
Thanks, but...
August 01, 2007 05:04PM
Thanks, but here is some clarification:

I can click on the multiclip with my mouse while playing, click on the angle I want, and it makes the physical cut in the timeline. But if I push the 1, 2, 3 etc., it changes the angle but does NOT make the cut in the timeline. It's just like I'm previewing but not actually doing anything.

When I hold down the Apple (command) key and press 1, 2 or 3, I get an error noise and nothing happens.

??

I would like to cut this using the keyboard rather than having to click with the mouse. Any further suggestions? I'm doing something wrong here. I did set up Tools>Keyboard>Multicam Editing, which is supposed to make the number keys work, but...
Scott and John -- thank you
August 01, 2007 05:13PM
Thanks guys. But for some reason I just can't get the number thing to work for cuts. It changes the angle, but doesn't cut. Dang!

Here's another question. I am using the sound from Angle 1. If I want to go in and change the edit point on a cut which involves Angle 1, it's trying to pull the sound, too. Should I unlink the audio from the picture of Angle 1 in order to have freedom to adjust edits manually?
Re: Scott and John -- thank you
August 01, 2007 05:36PM
In the drop down menu where sync is, you can choose to just switch just video, not video and audio. Or select which tracks you want the audio to pull from in the audio dropdown.

Like i said, i dont use the keypad so i cant help you there. However, the video does have to be playing in order for cuts to be made. If its paused, you are only changing the angle for the last cut. However, you can always add a cut where ever you want with Ctrl-V....
August 01, 2007 05:47PM
Thanks very much. If anyone has any suggestion on the keyboard...otherwise I'm cutting with the mouse at this point. Cheers.
August 01, 2007 06:42PM
If you are using the basic FCP multicam keyboard layout, hold down the apple key when you hit the keypad. That makes cuts.

It was discussed recently and I mentioned that this little difference, which isn't so little, is what catches most people when they learn the FCP MultiClip way.
This is the thread.
[www.lafcpug.org]

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
August 02, 2007 12:51AM
That's right-- the Default Layout is *not* the Multicam keyboard layout-- not in 5.x and I'm pretty sure not in 6.x. You need to load this explicitly to feel the magic.

Tool>KeyBoard>and it should be listed as an available layout without having to choose Load...

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:
Apply a default AUDIO transition with Command-Option-T !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
August 02, 2007 07:26PM
Thanks guys. I had defined the Multicam keyboard, but still it doesn't cut from the number pad, even if I hold down the Apple key. But that's okay, I'm doing fine with the mouse.

Next question: This is a 3-camera shoot. I synched them together, cut 45 mins, looking good. Now one of the camera had to change reels about 45 minutes in. Can I put that reel into the same multclip I started, since I need to synch it with the remaining 2 cameras that each have 15 minutes left?

Do I need to make copies of those first two reels and find a new synch point and synch them all like that? Not sure how to add this Camera 3 reel two to the line, given that the synch point I set on Cams 1 and 2 in that time line was 45 minutes before Cam 3 reel started rolling.

Am I making this question clear?

Thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics