Footage 24p / Photos 29.97 = Problems?

Posted by stewgoddard 
Footage 24p / Photos 29.97 = Problems?
August 03, 2007 12:49PM
I'm wondering if I'm going to have problems (since my footage is 24p, and the photos I'm importing for my project are 29.97)?

Do I need to change my photo Vid Rate to 24? (if so, how).

Also - I began cutting in iMovie. I lost some jpgs (in the move from iMovie to my new FCP suite). Can retrieve photos from my iMovie cut. Is it possible to export (iMovie stills) & import them into FCP?
Re: Footage 24p / Photos 29.97 = Problems?
August 03, 2007 12:52PM
Photos don't have a frame rate. Why are you saying they're 29.97?

August 03, 2007 12:56PM
.... (photos dont have a frame rate). Yeah, that makes sense, but in my Browser window they're labelled as being 29.97. So there's nothing to worry about then, right?

iMovie Photos: I dragged and dropped one of my iMovie photos onto my desktop and imported it to my FCP browser. Its duration is only :01 frame - Is it possible to change the duration? I've tried clicking on the duration window and tried to make it longer, but it keeps going back to :01 frame

OS 10.4.7
G5 Mac / Dual 2.0 / 2.5GB Ram / 155GB Mac HD System Drive / 250GB Hitachi HD & 1TB SATA
Version: FCP 4.5 HD,
Ext. HD: 1TB G-Raid
August 03, 2007 01:16PM

but in my Browser window they're labelled as being 29.97

that's just the indication of what frame rate the source footage was.

Changing still duration: in the FCP Preferences panel there is a setting for still frame duration, change it to something higher. It won't help with photos you've currently imported, but it will affect stills you import afterwards (so re-mport the previous stills).

BTW, why are you going through iMovie? Seems like an extra step that you don't need. Open the video in FCP and pull the stills from there.

JK

August 03, 2007 02:36PM
(...inidication) OK. I just didn't want to go any further...not knowing.

(...changing FCP Pref.s) Duration, when I've imported still photographs into FCP, has not been a problem. Only when I brought an iMovie still frame photograph.

Is it nec. to re-size to 720x 540: to accomodate lines of resolution? Doesn't it even matter since I'll probably be centering/zooming into the photo.

I began my project in iMovie because I didn't have any other editing software available. I graduated in '94 and haven't edited since the days of the FLAT BED! After realizing its limitations, I've gone out and bought FCP & a new G5.

When I went to the new suite, I somehow left/lost some of the jpgs (that I edited into my iMovie cut). So now I've got to find a way to export/import them into FCP.

OS 10.4.7
G5 Mac / Dual 2.0 / 2.5GB Ram / 155GB Mac HD System Drive / 250GB Hitachi HD & 1TB SATA
Version: FCP 4.5 HD,
Ext. HD: 1TB G-Raid
August 03, 2007 06:01PM
stewgoddard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is it nec. to re-size to 720x 540: to accomodate
> lines of resolution?

If you bring in an image that has square pixels, FPC will automatically make it non-square (it'll squeeze it). If you have digital stills, the best thing to do is keep them large, bring them into the FCP timeline and do your thing. This way you can zoom into the image without loosing resolution. In fact, chances are your digital stills will look better than any DV footage you bring in! ;-)

Marco Solorio | OneRiver Media | ORM Blog | Twitter | Facebook | Media Batch
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics