ON SET AND FREAKIN - Why doesn't FCP 5.1 not have a project setting for 1080p 24fps?

Posted by Geno Andrews 
Really trying to get this right. Can't quite figure out how to set up my FCP file for our HVX 200 - anyone have an answer how we shoot at 1080p 24 fps and how to set up the project file and sequence so I can drop footage in the timeline and NOT have to render the red line.

There must be something I'm missing. Please don't say FPC 6

Thank you for a speedy answer.

Geno
Re: ON SET AND FREAKIN - Why doesn't FCP 5.1 not have a project setting for 1080p 24fps?
August 04, 2007 01:32PM
5.1....what? 5.1.0? 5.1.1? 5.1.4?

I am running 5.1.2 and I see a DVCPRO HD 1080pA24 right there in the Easy Setups.

Is that what you are using? Remember, once you choose your setup, DELETE SEQUENCE 1! This has the OLD sequences. Make a new sequence and that will have the Easy Setup settngs.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
W're on the right track. 5.1 only.

How do I get the update?

Do you have a link?

Version Tracker?

Shouldn't there be a link for updates through Final Cut.

Thank you for your help.

g-
Re: ON SET AND FREAKIN - Why doesn't FCP 5.1 not have a project setting for 1080p 24fps?
August 04, 2007 01:36PM
Thats actually a good tip/trick Shane. Wanna write it up in a brief paragraph for the lafcpug newsletter? You will be instantly famous and chicks dig famous guys.

Michael Horton
-------------------
August 04, 2007 01:50PM
Trick? That has been the common thing that you HAD to do since FCP came out! FCP 6 changed the need to do this with the automatic changing of the sequence settings

g - Run the SYSTEM UPDATE in the SYSTEM SETTINGS. That should get you to 5.1.4. BUT ONLY UPDATE FCP

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
I'll rty that.

Quick question. Is 1080p 24 the best way to shoot this feature? I normally shoot interlaced and do my 3 to 2 pulldown in After Effects to get my 24 frame flutter. I'm nervous about shooting 24 p native cause I've seen old stuff with the PD150 that didn't look as natural as the pull down did. But that was a while back.

Assuming I can get the update, maybe not here on set, 24 p doesn't have any weirdness that I should be aware of?

Any thoughts or professional input and advice would be helpful.

g-
August 04, 2007 02:02PM
BEst way? That is a subjective question.

When we go with the HVX, we always shoot 720p24 at 23.98. Because the storage space requirements are low, and it blows up to 1080p 23.98 just fine.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
August 04, 2007 02:04PM
HVX200 does real 24p, so no worries there. However, always shoot in a mode that has easy pulldown removal so FCP can do it on the fly - 24pAdvanced. Quite frankly I'd be tempted to shoot 720p24native on that camera rather than the 1080p as you'll get longer record times on the P2 cards by a significant amount, and it doesn't record with any pulldown at all, so you've got native 24p off the bat. (I've not seen significant evidence of more meaningful resolution in 1080p mode than 720p mode either).

Graeme
August 04, 2007 02:05PM
WOW - just pipped me to the post their Shane. If we two are saying the same thing, it must be right eh? And no collaberation on our answer either :-)

Graeme
August 04, 2007 02:14PM
Great minds think alike.

Well, great minds have done their research and know what works best.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
August 04, 2007 02:31PM
Mean Tip. Its a common question and a common scratch of the head.

Michael Horton
-------------------
August 04, 2007 02:34PM
Great minds think alike, but it's the fools that seldom differ that I worry about :-)

Graeme
August 04, 2007 06:47PM

How do I get the update?

run software update.

the app has to be called "Final Cut Pro" w no version numbers added.
otherwise software update cant see it

nick
Not sure if this has been worked out or not but there is always the old Make Multi-cam Sequence trick. Best workaround for pre-FPC 6 machines. Highlight your source clip and ctrl-click, then select make multicam sequence. Open the sequence, delete the clip inside and then add your original clip. The settings will match just fine...

This even works for web videos clips, etc. Real handy when you dont know what your footage specs are offhand...
August 06, 2007 06:55AM
Be careful with this technique. It is not reliable for some material, which does not create the sequence correctly. Anamorphic flagging for instance is not seen correctly, and other small anomalies. Not sure how it handles this material which doesn't have a full size raster either.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics