HD monitor options?

Posted by Ewoo 
HD monitor options?
August 06, 2007 06:43PM
I am looking to set up a FCP / Color suite with as good an HD video monitor as I can afford.....I will be doing some shows for television broadcast, so will need something reasonable for color correction.

Just wondering what monitors people recommend for this purpose - basically looking for the cheapest acceptable option.

Thanks in advance

Ewoo
Re: HD monitor options?
August 06, 2007 10:01PM
Then you'll need to get yourself an HD capture card like the AJA Kona line, or Black-magic DECKLINK line.

And for monitors? Well, the way to go now is LCD. and the best LCD I have seen that is semi-affordable is the TVLOGIC LVM-204D. $8000. Might be a bit steep, but it is a great looking monitor. Off axis viewing held up better than the others.

NOW...in the more affordable range, I really liked the JVC DTV 24L1D. This ran about $4700. Off axis viewing was a bit rough, but just keep in facing you.

For about $3600 you can get the Panasonic BTLH1700W. 17" and it is "OK." The 26" model I saw was too bright and too saturated, but I have seen this one look decent.

Then there is the Matrox MXO (output ONLY) and Apple 23" Cinema display combo....$2000 for both...LESS! Cannot capture with this, it is output only, but the image looks very decent. Good for the VERY budget conscious.

But really, I'd recommend the JVC...

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
August 07, 2007 09:47AM
Thanks Shane,

I'll check out the JVC for myself....

The other alternative I'm looking at is getting a second hand SONY PVM20L5, which has the option of a card for HD. Do you know about this setup and if it is better or worse than the JVC for viewing and color correcting HD output?

Ewoo
August 07, 2007 10:30AM
The 20L5 is actually a GREAT option. CRT, multiformat meaning that it is SD and HD. Nice and big too. It can accept an HD signal via Component out of the box, but the aditional HD SDI card would be better.

I use the smaller brother to that, the 14L5.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
August 07, 2007 06:12PM
Hi Shane,

So in your opinion is a second hand PVM (presuming in decent condition) a better option than the JVC for Color correction?

Ewoo
August 07, 2007 06:16PM
CRTs beat LCDs any day.

Yes.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
August 07, 2007 06:19PM
Well...lemme take that back. LCDs are getting better, and since many homes are moving to Plasma and LCD screens, then a LCD will get you an better representation of what THEY will see.

CRTs are getting old. I'd go to the new technology if I were you...and if you can afford it.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
August 07, 2007 09:05PM
I use the SONY PVM20L5 with the SDI card at the studio. It sits right to the right of my 23" Apple LCD. I use it as a second desktop through the Kona2 control panel when I am not in FCP or After Effects. It rocks for color correction / VFX output monitoring. This is what mine looks like:

[cgi.ebay.com]

I'm with Shane, though...as technology with LCD's get better, I will migrate to the lighter / thinner / cooler / sharper LCD's & heave these CRT space heating boat anchors off a cliff (video taping it all, of course spinning smiley sticking its tongue out)

Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

August 08, 2007 10:15AM
Hi guys,

Do you think the LCD technology is good enough NOW?

I'm talking in terms of the JVC monitor - not a super high end / expensive one....

Ewoo
August 08, 2007 08:11PM
No. It's not as good as CRT. There is apparently a new device on the market which gives true black and not *too* much off-axis change - its the eCinema DPX from these guys. [www.ecinemasys.com]

However, it's not actually released yet, and even better, it's priced at about US$38,000.

The problem with this whole LCD screens deal is that they are not better technology yet than the CRTs. They are being introduced because the CRTs are being forced out of production for environmental reasons.

August 08, 2007 08:19PM
It's good enough you PURIST!

:^)

shane

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
August 08, 2007 08:45PM
Yeah I'm not saying that they are useless, I'm saying that the impression you get is that LCD screens are newer, and therefore better. But the truth is that they *aren't* better. They've just been forced into the market because the CRTs have too much lead in them and it costs less to make them than to redesign the CRTs.

And yeah, OK, I don't really like them, either tongue sticking out smiley.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics