letterbox

Posted by howard 
letterbox
August 13, 2007 08:20PM
Hi, this is my first post. Hopefully a simple question. I?m using FCP 4.5. When I letterbox my finished product all my transitions and effects don?t convert and I have to go through the whole sequence and redo the lot. Any clues?
Re: letterbox
August 13, 2007 08:29PM
Read this -- "How do I create a widescreen matte?"

[www.lafcpug.org]

www.derekmok.com
August 13, 2007 08:58PM
Thank you for the reply. Excuse my ignorance but I should have stated this video was shot in anamorphic, (interviews, animals and scenic footage in the Australian bush). The final product will be played at public environmental forums and DVDs to be played on (I?d assume) widescreen and non-wide formats. Will applying a widescreen matte cut the top and bottom off the footage? The letterbox option kept the integrity of the original shots but I thought it strange that I?d lose all my transitions and effects. Cheers, Howard.
August 13, 2007 09:02PM
No, you shouldn't be dealing with matting/masking if you shot in anamorphic 16:9.

> The letterbox option kept the integrity of the original shots but I thought it strange that I?d lose
> all my transitions and effects.

That's strange. What do you mean by "losing" your effects? Do your transitions and filters actually disappear from your timeline? Did you edit in an anamorphic 16:9 sequence? Which effects are they?

Aaaaaannnnd you get to look at the brand-spankin'-new anamorphic 16:9 FAQ if you want more information on dealing with anamorphic 16:9:

[www.lafcpug.org]

www.derekmok.com
August 13, 2007 09:23PM
Thank you again. No, the effects etc. don?t disappear but they are not letterboxed. So all the transition points and effects blow up into non-letterbox format. To solve the problem I?ve been copying the clip back into a bin in the Browser and then bringing it into the Viewer and editing them back on the Timeline. Once done the clip and effect is now letterboxed. Go figure. It works but it?s a pain. I'l check the link you suggested on 16:9. Cheers, again. Howard.
August 13, 2007 09:32PM
My bet is that your timeline is remembering the render files from the old sequence. Next time try this: Select your entire timeline and press CONTROL-B (Clip Enable/Disable). Press CONTROL-B again. This turns all your clips and effects off and then back on, which flushes the renders. Re-render your timeline and the effects should be fine. You can also try Tools - Render Manager to ditch your old render files. Much better than having to recut the clips again.

www.derekmok.com
August 13, 2007 09:38PM
Now that sounds like it might be on the money. I'll do it right now and let you know the results. Thanks for all the help. Howard.
August 14, 2007 12:01AM
Works like a charm. If you were Down Under I'd buy you a frosty ale for that one.
Many thanks. Howard.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics