SVHS, Hi 8

Posted by Eddietor 
SVHS, Hi 8
August 15, 2007 08:35AM
I have some old SVHS and Hi 8 footage I need to bring into FCP. I have no decks for this, I'm starting from scratch. I do not have anything that will allow me to import analog footage, only the firewire (standard & 800) ports on the back of my G5.

I'm open to having someone transfer it, but it'd be nice to buy something so I can do this in the future. The project will not be broadcast, it's for a home DVD. Any suggestions?
Re: SVHS, Hi 8
August 15, 2007 10:18AM
canopus advc110
August 15, 2007 10:53AM
DV camcorder's another option. Many of them have analogue in and firewire out, and will do realtime transcoding. (you may have to record the signal to tape at the same time to generate a timecode signal for FCP, but that'll give you all your material backed up on DV tapes. Or you can just reuse the same tape.)

randy
August 15, 2007 06:40PM
Hi,

You might get a little better quality with an AJA IO or AJO IO LA and capturing as PhotoJpeg at 75% (a 4:2:2 codec that is better than DV).

Also use a good SVHS or Hi8 Deck and use the Y/C signal.

Best Wishes,

Mitch
August 15, 2007 11:35PM
Definitely Y/C-- also known as S-VIDEO, or 2-wire component. Great prosumer pipe. Not to be confused with S-VHS-- a higher-than-VHS quality tape format and deck which happened to use the S-Video connection.

S-Video transfers have saved my bacon more than once.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:
Set Video In & Out separate from Audio with Control I & O !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics